1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Digital First pursuing Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Jan 13, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This aging processes truly sucks.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

He remains known as “Lean Dean” in NJ for his severe cost-cutting in newsrooms. In some ways, Lean Dean was the forerunner of DFM.

3. LanceyHoward

How many beat writers cover a CU game. I think the only paper staffing CU as a full time beat is the Daily Camera. I would guess they only have one writer traveling for football and normally no one for basketball. Am I guessing wrong?

I wonder when we reach the point that a Power Five school has no one traveling for football.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

DFM bought Singleton's operation when all the debt-leveraged papers couldn't cover the interest due. Singleton knew there was no hope for the industry when he got in and began touring the country snapping up papers he could cluster to improve cash flow - there was never any longterm plan to pay off the papers. Figure the same goes for DFM as well.

And if there was any potential upside - figure the stocks would be higher. People only buy them now because of the dividends.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Daily Camera travels one and the 247 affiliate travels, as well. For CSU, Coloradoan travels two and Loveland travels one.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  7. LanceyHoward

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I think most of us got the sense that this sale was probably never going to happen, but the confirmation of that is a huge sigh of relief — for now.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As bad as it is for both now - I think it would be even worse if they "joined forces." Gannett isn't building - just like DFM they are cutting for profits and it would only lead to more drastic cuts if one took on the others' debt.

11. LanceyHoward

I read that Gannett's board told the CEO to not invest anymore in papers but push into digital instead.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Which is smart, and the opposite of what Digital First requested when the offer came.

Draft saved Draft deleted