1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO doc on Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Anybody seen the HBO documentary on Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill? Watching it now and it's a really cool window into that era of journalism/columnists.

Here's David Simon's take. The last line is really poignant in today's current climate:

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Very well done documentary.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hamill's career, just unreal. Also enjoyed his memoir "A Drinking Life," about how he quit the sauce back in the early 1970s. I've often thought how much more productive I could be as a writer without drinking, but after about a week on the wagon I start to get manic.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Dog8Cats likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll ever tire of Breslin's story on JFK's funeral, telling it through the eyes of the man who dug his grave.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent stuff.

I have to see this documentary

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

My first introduction to Breslin was "Racing's Angriest Young Man" in Best American Sports Writing of the Century. Can't find it online and don't really remember it, to be honest.

The tenacity Breslin displayed is one of the many things I miss about today's newspapers. Just don't see that very often.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. Wish I could watch it, but HBO and dish are in some sort of dispute. It's been going for a couple of months, at least.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I flipped through this and Dick Young won for best news story. It was his fourth award, putting him one/half award from the judges, putting him one behind W.G. Heinz and Jesse Abramson. Sadly I am old enough to remember many of the bylines included in the analogy.

A couple questions,

One, I know Dick Young is credited with inventing the modern game story. Fine. And when I read him it was when he was well over the hill as a columnist in the Sporting News. But I never thought he was the greatest writer, or even one of the top 50, of his generation.

I know who W.G. Heinz was. A hero. If for nothing else for "Run to Daylight" though he did a lot more. But I have absolutely no idea who Jesse Abramson is or what he did. Can someone tell me. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  11. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

I've watched it twice. I grew up reading both of them, and was elated when I wound up writing freelance for the Daily News' business section in the late '80s because of that. But true to tabloid style, Bad Boy Breslin gets most of the real estate in this doc.

12. billchristine

billchristine New Member

For my biography of Bill Hartack, one of my best sources was "Racing's Angriest Young Man." Steal from the best if you're gonna steal.

Draft saved Draft deleted