1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Who says they didn't? Marty screwed with the timeline so things changed that he noticed were different but no one else did. His parents may have noticed he looked like that weird stranger but had no reason to mention it because they may already have mentioned it to Marty. For example Marty's brother is in a suit. Marty remembers his brother differently but the rest of the family takes it for granted.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dude, it’s a huge plot hole. Come on

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry. but if you want one of the old Marvel Comics "No Prizes," you have to explain why the supposed error really wasn't a mistake rather than just pointing it out. :)

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ok let's play this out.
    George McFly: Hey Marty, good morning. You sleep well?
    Marty: Sorta. I don't know. Kinda tossed and turned.
    George (looking at his son with a quizzical look)
    Marty: What's up dad?
    George: Have I told you you look like someone your mom and I knew when we got together?
    Marty laughs nervously: yeah heh heh isn't that weird?
    George: yeah crazy. It's almost like ... Oh well. You want breakfast?

That's 30 seconds that plays out like a cliche joke and doesn't add anything. Again, Marty is the only one who knows things have changed. His parents didn't get some new knowledge. They've always had it and presumably already noticed it and told Marty stories about it. They take it for granted. Only Marty and the audience know there's an alternate timeline.

Actually the plot hole that is a bigger problem is that Marty's patents produced the same exact 3 children (including Marty) despite their lives and experiences being completely different. None of those experiences changed their whoopy making schedule?

5. outofplace

I'd never thought of that one until I saw About Time, which has a main character who can travel through time. At one point, he tires to go back and fix something and when he returns, his daughter is about the same age, but now a boy with dark hair instead of a girl with red hair. The movie glosses over the larger implications of time travel, but shows it screwing up more personal stuff.

6. CD Boogie

I don't know what that is, but it sounds like something I'd have to accept in cosplay, so no thanks. Easy why it's a mistake -- Biff would have recognized him, too. After all, this is the guy who kicked his ass and made him a weenie. But nope, he doesn't. None of them do.

7. CD Boogie

There are multiple plot holes. Again, I love the movie, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it. But it's like in The Departed when the dipshit cousin just disappears after DeCaprio joins Costello's crew. There's no good explanation, other than French telling him not to do anymore drug deals with him. The guy doesn't die, he's ostensibly still around. But he just disappears from the movie, which is kind of ridiculous when you consider he's the guy who would be closest to his cousin and be able to find out the most about him. And that movie won an editing Oscar, which is a disgrace.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. outofplace

Many comic books have pages on which the publish letters from fans. Often these would focus on perceived errors in the stories. Marvel's way of addressing this was to create the No Prize, which was only given if the fan could raise something that seemed like an error, but went on to explain why it wasn't a mistake after all. I believe it was literal, as in there was no actual prize, other than recognition on the letters page.

CD Boogie likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

learn something new everyday. I love to read. I don't read comic books, unless I'm reading a Calvin & Hobbes collection with my daughter. Never been my bag, even when I was a kid. Would rather have pored over a book of baseball statistics, which I admit is not everyone's bag, either.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Finally saw Fahrenheit 11/9.

After a strong and funny opening ten minutes, that's one shitty documentary. As a call to arms, I guess it's fine, but it's far more scattershot than I expected. It takes a strong aim at the Clintons and Obama at some point and seeks to stake out territory left of both. There's a lot of attention devoted to teacher strikes, the Parkland kids, and how the Democratic Party somehow jobbed Bernie Sanders. (Sanders himself barely appears in the doc.)

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I thought it was really bad. It really was a YouTube video (those first 10 minutes) that he tried to stretch into a full length film.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And while I don't agree with about half of Moore's politics - I agree with some things - it wasn't so much the politics. It just seemed like 4 or 5 movies. I could watch a whole movie on the Flint Water thing. that was interesting. The Parkland stuff seems to belong in a different movie (specifically about them) and there are some embarrassing scare moments (like the missile thing in Hawaii) that have no particular attachment to anything. I'm surprised some critics loved it. They must have on the basis of agreeing with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted