1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bob Pockrass hired to write for Fox Sports. A year or so after Fox Sports laid off good writers to go to all-video on its website, go figure. But happy for Bob, whose reporting chops are unparalleled in the garage.

maumann likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I see where Cessna is sponsoring Jamie McMurray; I remember a marketing professor I had once saying airlines would never touch nascar cause they didn’t want to be associated with crashes.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Richmond sold out a 100+ facility twice a year for 17 or so years. Now it is half as big and hasn't been half full.
    Ouch is right

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honest question, is it a loss of popularity or the costs outstripping the ability/desire to attend or sponsor a team?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What has happened to ticket prices. Has track management gotten rid of the mobs in the cheap seats to concentrate on the affluent?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps he didn't watch Nascar in the early '80s.

upload_2019-1-29_11-17-58.png

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting - I didn't realize Pennzoil and Quaker State are now all subsidiaries of Shell. Explains a bit about sponsorship dollars.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

NASCAR is privately held but International Speedway Corporation, which owns 13 tracks, is publicly held (the France family owns a majority share and is trying to buy the rest of the stock). The financial reports of International Speedway indicate that revenues and profits are increasing by about one-two percent a year. So far NASCAR has weathered the drop off in attendance pretty well.

What happens when the television contracts expire in 2024 is anyone's guess. Ratings are cratering.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I miss when race cars looked like this.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted