1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I guess BuzzFeed is like any other journalism outlet.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Siri, what happens when the venture capital runs out?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of a scary thought - but this could go beyond just sports or news, you have established companies that have been running on VC money without hinting at a profit. If the VC community figures the profit potential of the app economy is limited - well, alot of people are going to be out of work.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

ESPN is/was having a financial battle because of all of the rights fees -- NFL. NBA rights going up and off-set by having fewer subscribers paying that $7 a month.

CNN/FNC/MSNBC will be just fine. They have very low overhead. No rights fees. Just paying for talent and talk -- that's very cheap to produce.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think ESPN's issues are that they can now only fill up a cruiser class warship with the money they make and not a full aircraft carrier. And they will be able to to sign a new NFL deal in 2022. This time around they appear to have overpaid by a billion dollars or so. Disney still produces margins of close to 25% a year and revenues were about seven percent in 2017. I know there are a lot of other divisions such as theme parks, movies and ABC but I think ESPN will weather the storm.

I do think some of the regional sports networks that have shelled out millions to MLB and NBA teams will run into financial problems.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Did Dick Dietsch write about this? He's got a front row seat for any departures from there.

7. DanOregon

ESPN should hire some analytics people away from baseball to figure out exactly what rights fees are worth. They pay for the NFL than any other outlet and have the worst package - and they didn't mind at the time because they had the money. But they were negotiating against themselves.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN also gets the NFL highlights. (Not that ESPN couldn't pay for those separately - but it'd cost a lot.)

I doubt ESPN will pay a lot less. It still shits all over the NFL on a routine basis - though not to the degree it did two years ago - and has mediocre talent covering the league to boot.

9. DanOregon

While I do think ESPN dialing back use of NFL highlights so they didn't have to pay a premium, it would probably move more people over to the NFL Network. I'm just surprised the NFL doesn't see ESPN as a partner as it does Fox, NBC and CBS.

10. DanOregon

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

When the coverage are is the entire globe, is that so surprising?

Draft saved Draft deleted