1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You could squint and see a Big Five with Wawrinka included, and also with David Ferrer early in the decade.

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

You're late

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ferrer = Berdych = Thiem

See you in the quarters/semis, then bye-bye.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

David Ferrer?

All due respect to him and his career... he never even won a Slam. Nowhere near those guys.

It's a Big Three.

The questions now are:

1. Can Nadal win another, or his he done?
    2. Can Djokovic catch Federer?
    3. Can Djokovic win a Calendar Slam?
    4. Who's the next player to start racking up Slams?

On the women's side, it appears we have someone legit in Osaka.

Which, if any, of these young guys will emerge?

Tsitsipas
    Zverev
    Coric
    Khachanov
    Tiafoe
    Shapavolov
    Thiem

To me, the only one who seems to have that certain something is Tsitsipas.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just saying that Ferrer was a regular quarterfinalist in Grand Slams. If you’re No. 5, that’s where you’ll peak, especially in this field. Hence the “squint” part.

6. BTExpress

Ferrer was NOT the player you wanted to have on court if you were a fan waiting for the NEXT match on the schedule.

That grinder could go on all day.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I think Nadal is done. Joker crushed him. Yes I think he can catch Fed. On the women’s side I think Serena doesn’t win another Slam. Osaka is that good.

8. BTExpress

It's entirely possible that in a little over 5 months all eight major titles could be owned by two people.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. True that !

Rafa may not be done, only because the next Slam up is RG. You can never underestimate Rafa on clay. Nadal was humiliated out there a few hours ago. It'll be interesting to see how he responds.

Throw into the mix that Federer seems to be signaling that he'll play on clay this year, maybe as a last hurrah.

The drama starts in Monte Carlo.

Sounds like fun !!!

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I should have said Nadal was done except for RG. He probably wins there a couple more times.

11. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I think it definitely could be a goodbye tour of sorts for Federer, but I also think it might just be a means of getting some free points to maintain a top-3/4 seeding at the slams. One benefit to skipping clay is that he is defending nothing at this point.

Lugnuts likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The match that Djoker played in the final was one of the best, cleanest tennis groundstroke games I’ve ever seen. He destroyed a rested, injury free Nadal. It was an amazing display, even in this era without any S & V ers, where everyone plays back, he took even the slightest opening and hit winners and then there were the amazing defensive shots that kept him in point. No one beats him yesterday, not even Fed on his best day. Djoker is only 31, he may catch Fed in majors.

Draft saved Draft deleted