1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world according to Ray Ratto

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 25, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bay area columnist, released from contract by NBC Sports Bay Area earlier this month, talks about his work with The Ringer.

The World According to Ray Ratto

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Ratto is absolute brilliance, a curmudgeon and a wordsmith. I weep for a profession that doesn't have room for his work.

rb

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of my contemporaries I admired the most and whose company I enjoyed the most. SOMEBODY should hire him.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ray is awesome.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think NSBA ran out of things for him to do. He'd write for their site and was "senior insider" on a lot of shows. But then they had him join Greg Papa and a forgettable female panelist on a PTI knockoff that was a disaster. AFAIK, he didn't burn any bridges hopping around Bay Area papers, so there's that.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of the regional cable sports outlets are taking as much of a hit as ESPN. I think there is still room for people who break news - but I figure they figure they can pick a dude or two of a sports talk show (where Ratto came from) for half his price.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ratto ought to become a college professor. The dude is brilliant and I would pay good money to take one of his classes. I loved him on KNBR with Tom Tolbert. He had a fantastic mix of genuine mastery of what he was talking about and the smarm to make it interesting. He could tell you to fuck off in a way that made you smarter for it. The industry is lacking guys like that.

bpoindexter likes this.
  8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

You folks here obviously know Ray Ratto and his abilities far more than I do. Having read the comments here, I am picturing him as the "opposing view" to someone like Skip Bayless on one of those contrived "debate shows". Would that work?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well he could only go with "Really Skip - does any of this REALLY matter? I can't believe there are people out there hanging on your every word or rooting for you to verbally destroy Shannon. I can't believe you get paid millions to do it. I can't believe they give me a sandwich to do it - and it was a GOOOD sandwich" a couple of times before it got old.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cue the Joe Pesci courtroom GIF from My Cousin Vinny.

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm probably a bit biased for a couple of reasons, but does anybody currently write about sports writing better than Bryan Curtis?

(also, Bryan, if you're listening, I have a backlog of story ideas. You know where to find me).

12. AD

AD Active Member

agreed on curtis -- he's excellent. but does anybody else write about sports writing, period? seems like a pretty small pool....

Draft saved Draft deleted