1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Being sandwiched between the home-game Honda and The Fifth Major, I wouldn't call Bay Hill a mortal lock. But I hope he always plays at Arnie's place; time marches on and when Tiger decides it's not a must-play, that's going to be a sad day for the Tour.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

He has said he’s going to play less to stay fresh. No question he was gassed by the time the Tour Championship was over last year.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just wondering: Mickelson and his daughter are in a commercial for a drug that helps his condition. They never show the girl's face in the commercial.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's a drug that stops him from being an insufferable know=it-all?
    It's not working.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

PGA players don’t take drugs, they are tested.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Saw Woods is getting 3-1 odds to win at least one major this year.

I think he’s still a long shot to ever win another one. Certainly a better chance after what he did in 2018.

Getting Snead’s record of 82 Tour wins seems probable.

Goes off at 1:40 EST on Thursday at Torrey.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good pairing for him. Finau and Schauffele. Off south first.
    I'll lay money he wins a major this year.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd take that bet.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The U.S. Open (Pebble) and PGA (Bethpage) sites are favorable for him, and he usually competes well at Augusta. If there's a year for him to do, this is probably it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There aren't that many courses in the major rota where Woods HASN'T won or contended well. Could he win one? Possibly. But saying any individual golfer, even the greatest, will win a major in any given year is a sucker's bet.

Double Down likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll lay your odds.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think the course that sets up best for him is actually Portrush. You can't just look at past results and say "Well he's won at Pebble and Bethpage, so he can win there again" because he's not the same golfer, nor is he facing the same competition as he was back then. I just don't think he'll ever drive it well enough to even contend in a US Open. Bethpage, it depends on the set up. If they give it brutal rough, he won't have a shot their either.

Portrush, though, he won't have to hit driver as much. He's better at playing creative golf than anyone who has ever lived, meaning he can think his way around the course while various others idiots are trying to nuke the ball into the wind. The fact that there hasn't been an Open there for 50+ years will work to his advantage, since he is better at figuring out a golf course when everyone's base knowledge is zero. There is a reason a lot recent winners of Open Championships -- Zach Johnson, Mickelson, Els, Darren Clarke -- are in their 40s. Your brain matters more when it comes to links golf.

I'm not rejecting the premise that he could get into contention at Augusta, but I don't think he'll ever play well enough there to out-play all the guys who now feel really comfortable in that place.

Draft saved Draft deleted