1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl LIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Might as well start one now, since we have a commercial thread and all.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see another Manning take down Brady in a big game.

After spending two years at (probably) Ole Miss, it'll be 20-year-old Arch Manning vs. 49-year-old Tom Brady in 2027.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I'm coming out the gate saying we're in for a lower scoring Super Bowl than expected and Wade Phillips is going to be the difference for the Rams winning. He's going to make adjustments, he's got the guys that can cover, he's got athletes at linebacker and a front that will bring pressure.

It's going to be a dogfight. Like pretty much every Super Bowl the Patriots are in.

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

34-31 Rams.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is astounding that despite their greatness, the Pats have never won a SB by more than 6 points. Nor lost one in the Belichick era by much more either

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I look at it from the other side of the telescope. To me, it's a tribute to their greatness. All those championship games, all those great games, and it always came down o the end. If clutch means anything, that has to mean a lot.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

In the Brady/Belichick era, last year's SB was their most "lopsided" loss (Eagles won by 8). And their largest winning margin in a SB came in an overtime game.

8. DanOregon

I didn't know what word to use other than "despite" - they've never clearly been the dominant team in the SB. Clearly a great organization - but would any of their teams stack up next to other "dominant" teams of the SB era? How many HoFers besides Brady and Belichick (and I'm guessing Kraft)?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, let's see. Seymour's up. Harrison should make it. Vinatieri will. Moss is in for sure. Gronk is in. IF they ever put assistants in Scarnecchis should be the first. Forget McGinest. And Law could make it, too.

10. DanOregon

Harrison and McGinest were only named to two Pro Bowls. Vinatieri is a lock, Moss isn't "really" a Pats pick (but sure) and agree on Law and Gronk. The point holds though, for a team this dominant - the number of H0Fers from the SB teams is really kind of small. Four or five players?
    The Raiders have more than that from their single Super Bowl win (Brown, Hendricks, Biletnikoff, Stabler, Shell, Casper, Upshaw) and Blanda retired just the year before.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Very much hoping Brady can tie the record for most Super Bowl losses by a QB.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And have only scored three points total in all the first quarters. Which means they'll probably score 14 this time.

Draft saved Draft deleted