1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Loved that movie. Thought it was fantastic. Great exploration of grey and how people who might otherwise like each other can end up on murderously opposite sides.

2. typefitter

Saw The Favourite and thought it was one of the most original and entertaining movies I'd seen in some time. Amazing to look at. Lock it down for the Costume Design Oscar in your pools.

Seeing the Spiderman cartoon thing tonight. Would not have normally, but it's raining and I keep hearing so much about it.

3. typefitter

Spiderman was fucking crazy. What an amazing piece of creativity. There can't be a shot that's more than ten seconds long, so it's dizzying, but the animation is ridiculously cool and the story is surprisingly moving. It also couldn't be made without its being animated.

Here's two minutes of it, when Miles learns how to "fly." The two-second clip when he's rising toward the city rather than falling—I mean, it's beautiful, but I can't quite fathom the thought effort that went into making something like this.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Silence of the Lambs. Just a tour de force performance from Anthony Hopkins.

It's one of the movies I've watched countless times, along with both Godfather movies (No. 3 does not exist), Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Black Hawk Down, Full Metal Jacket, Tombstone and schlocky movies like Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finally saw Atomic Blonde. The story lacked originality - the high point was the way the action sequences were shot. Granted, most of them were overly violent, cartoonish in that Jackie Chan way where the hero is totally outnumbered and requires her foes to be really dumb and reminded me (like too many action sequences) of a WWE match. But I thought the camera work was great.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Tbe most interesting part of Glass is that the character played by Bruce Willis disappears for long stretches of the movie. Not that he's supposed to be dead and is due to come back in a twist. Just that Willis - one of the three advertised leads in the movie - got paid a large amount of money for a minimal amount of shooting days.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Mule - wanted to like it so bad and it was okay. Clint does a great 80 yr old.

Halloween- some standard slasher stuff but some really good stuff too. J Curtis was bad ass.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

“On the Basis of Sex” was good. I mean, either you going into it because you want to root for RBG for two hours, or you’re not watching it, so everyone who sees this will probably like it.

Biopics can easily be weighed down by the need to include everything. That happened a bit, but mostly every part advanced the plot or the characters’ depth. There wasn’t much exportation of Bader Ginsburg’s weaknesses that helped propel movies like “The Iron Lady” and “The People Versus Larry Flynt,” but hey, maybe there wasn’t much to work with in that front. Still, a near-perfect main character will hold any story back.

The best thing about the acting was that it didn’t ruin the movie. Felicity Jones could not maintain the accent well, but otherwise held my attention and was believable. Armie Hammer was ... there. Kathy Bates showed up, too, and played the same character I’ve seen her do a half-dozen times.

All in all, pretty good. Nothing “wow” but a decent Netflix option.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Glass' premise was actually really interesting: Everything that happened in Unbreakable and Split could be explained scientifically. Any thoughts of the three main characters being superheroes/villains is the result of delusions of grandeur with bo basis in reality. Sarah Paulsen does a great job as the therapist trying to work with the three to convince them they are mentally ill. It felt very real life.

Shamalan's twist was a little underwhelming but was true to the story. I'm not sure if he wants to make this part of a larger universe of characters and stories but he certainly left the door open. As it stands, he did a good job of bringing meaning to all three story lines.

Bruce Willis definitely comes and goes, but 1) that's the story of his acting abilities and 2) this felt more like he was a supporting character to Sam Jackson and James McAvoy.

Good shove popcorn in your face movie but don't go into it with expectations beyond that.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Finally saw BlackKKKlansman. Thought it was very well done. Particularly the two leads.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

She’s not wrong that it is a bit of a “F— you.” Doesn’t mean it’s not a logical or rational decision.

Remaking “Ghostbusters” was a terrible idea three years ago, and it remains so today. I’d really like to see the data behind some of these decisions. Did Ecto Cooler sales spike in 2018?

Draft saved Draft deleted