1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Actually, there's one bet that has been reliable and ridiculous ... first period over/under lines in the NHL are usually 1.5 goals, and Tampa Bay, Columbus, Chicago, San Jose and Pittsburgh have all gone over in 75 percent of their games. That is staggering, and wiseguys who got on that train early are cleaning up. Bookies are scrambling to adjust, like today's Tampa Bay-San Jose game has the over at nearly 1-to-2 odds.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I drove to St. Paul on Tuesday to watch Kings-Wild (and had to leave after a period because I got sick). The Wild are just goofy. They have nothing resembling a game-breaker (nobody in the NHL top 50 in points, nobody in the top 30 in goals, nobody in the top 45 in assists), but their base line talent level is equal to or better than most of their competition, so when they don't screw around and Dubnyk doesn't suck, they'll sneak into the playoffs as a wild card and get bounced in five or six games in the first round just like they always do. They're not bad. They're just not good either.

misterbc and RickStain like this.
  3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I was at Buff/Cal game where Eichel scored in OT after hitting the crossbar earlier both in overtime and regular time. He has everything. Dahlin played well, too. They have a v good team. Skinner was around the puck the whole night.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Too bad they only have one line that can do anything. Slow road to death since its 10-game winning streak. There hasn't been any noise about trying to resign Skinner. I'm curious if he even wants to stay in Buffalo after this year. Eichel is the real deal.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Anybody know how Ryan Kessler is doing?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hey @ChrisLong you still haven’t answered my question above. The refs must be really killing your team over this last 20 games.

Jake Muzzin I think summed up your team perfectly after this most recent debacle.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Refs must be killing the Ducks these days.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I posted about the guy who I think you're referring to a few weeks ago. Not sure, though. A person as learned as you usually knows how to spell.
    If you meant Ryan Kesler, I wrote that he has been awful. It's sad when the guy goes from being the best player on the team to the worst player on the team in 2 years because of injury.
    I haven't posted about bad officiating because it hasn't been bad, nor the reason for their skid. They are lousy because Randy Carlyle is a horrible coach. On that, we agreed before it even happened. Their better players are or have been hurt, and a lot of others are just no good.
    They have embarrassed themselves and it was doubly embarrassing tonight to have Muzzin get over on them. That's what happens when you have a stupid-ass like Nick Ritchie skating a regular shift.
    The Ducks will probably be in last place by the end of the season.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s almost like nobody could see this coming a few years back when they signed these deals.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I don’t think anybody was complaining about the Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler contracts when they were signed. Bieksa was a problem from the beginning. All of their core defensemen — Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Montour — was regressed this season under Carlyle.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There were plenty of people saying what disasters those contracts would be in a few years.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This was from 2016

Draft saved Draft deleted