1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The only thing JC and I have ever agreed on is that Randy Carlyle should never have been re-hired to coach the Ducks. Fan displeasure was rising as the team finished a winless five-game homestand then ran its winless streak to 11 with an OT loss at Winnipeg today.
    This prompted an announcement from GM Bob Murray.

murrays statement.jpg

This is a response by a guy on one of the Ducks Facebook fan pages.

ducks murray.jpg

Other comments are that Murray is refusing to fire Carlyle to save face, since he had to fire him once before and then begged to bring him back. His statement above throws the players under the bus. How will they respond to that? Also, how can Carlyle continue to work in an organization in which all of his co-workers know he should have been fired but wasn't.

RickStain likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Somewhere, Mikhail Grabovski is smiling

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This means you have been right once.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ducks traded Cogliano to Dallas today for Devin Shore.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought about you. You were right once and let it go to your head, then became THE expert on everything.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not everything, but close.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Is there precedent for the Stanley Cup hangover being delayed until January? Because, dang, it looks like the Caps are there now. Just look listless and tired over the last week or so. It's not helping that they're playing teams that are feeling it right now -- the Blues, Preds, CBJ and Isles. Just seems like a limp to the All-Star Break at this point.

***-PS, I get it, my team won a Cup for the first time and I should be happy. But I would like to see the team back in the playoffs at least this year. Only three points up on the second wild card.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As Elliotte himself noted on Twitter earlier tonight, the Islanders lead the Metropolit division (Ewing Theory alert) and the Canucks are in the second west Wild Card spot. Don't bet on sports.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I get to see the Islanders a lot. I grew up with them during the Stanley Cup years, so they have a small place in my heart, but I fully support the Rangers, not the Islanders. I'll hardly ever watch a full Islanders game. But I'll watch for a few minutes at a time. I find them more watchable than the Devils or Flyers, the two other teams I get a lot of.

Heading into the season, I thought the Islanders were going to be a disaster. I was really wrong. Barry Trotz must be some kind of genius, getting what he is out of that roster. You could already tell Mathew Barzal was a great player, after last year, and he really is electric. But so many other things have gone right for them. For one, Robin Lehner is playing amazing. Then, a whole bunch of players I thought were good, but not great, are doing better than I would have imagined. Anders Lee is a really strong player around the net. And guys like Bailey, Pulock, Cizikas, Eberle and Brock Nelson are having really good seasons. I am really dubious that they can keep it up, but you can't argue with the results.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Canucks are still terrible. The Sabres completely outplayed them last night.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The whole bottom of the west is awful. Some bad teams are gonna sneak into the WCs

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yep, and get destroyed in the first round.

Draft saved Draft deleted