1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bob Costas at NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It was a weird time in TV.
    If fuckin Jaleel White can become a star overnight then why not give an established name like Pay Sayjak a talk show?
    That was sort of the prevailing thought.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The early Conan shows are delightfully awkward and insane.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought with everyone figuring Carson was retiring soon there might have been a chance to launch a new show. Thicke of the Night, Joan Rivers, Arsenio etc.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Are we forgetting Howie Mandel's contribution to late-night disasters? But I think he's found a good landing spot.
    [​IMG]

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Arsenio model was so prevalent that it was even being aped by normally staid player shows such as Randall Cunningham's.
    That mess was a full-on variety show.
    The late '80s and early '90s... you had to be there.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's what Howie says!

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I guess Costas will now turn a blind eye toward the Olympics.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My favorite growing up was Letterman but I loved Arsenio as a kid. For starters, he came on at 11 in our market so you got a half hour jump. Secondly, Carson wasn’t as appealing to a 12-year-old. Thirdly, I still remember him having Severisen and the band on his show a week after Carson retired. Always thought that was a cool gesture. For one night, big band was hip.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Carson Daly's success has always befuddled me. I interviewed him back in 2000 or 2001 in the TRL studio in Times Square and he was astoundingly lacking in charisma. He wasn't a dick or short in his responses. He actually went on at length; I probably spent more than an hour with him before he went on (with, as I recall, Timbaland and Uncle Kracker). He's not a particularly good interviewer. He's not witty. He's just so....vanilla.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, he was lucky to start out in radio in LA. Holy shit, two nothings named Mark and Brian got a network show out of being morning djs in LA.

Look at the national sports talk radio landscape. See what kind of NY tilt there is to it. Schein, the guy who went to jail, francessa and mad dog... they'd be nothings if they werent' out of NY.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think that's part of his success though. Just a generic nice guy, behind the scenes, who doesn't make waves and just works at whatever opportunity he gets given to him. Plenty of other people in that same situation have managed to fuck it up by being too ambitious.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Seacrest, Ryan.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted