1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

We have a winner!

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's going to be weird with the season (for all intents and purposes) reduced to just over three months.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's really six months .... I guess if you ONLY care about the majors, it's still four. But I like it. Players, Masters, PGA, U.S. Open, Open, Tour Championship. One a month. The Tour Championship scoring is dumb as can be, but it's still compelling golf.

And I'm all about some Xander Schauffele. His shotmaking last Sunday was fantastic. He could easily have a big year.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If him and Spieth got paired together, they would be on the clock before the first hole was over.
    Holy Moly, hit the ball.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else follow the tale of Kuchar allegedly paying his local Mayakoba caddie $3k after winning and pocketing $1.2 million? Went nuts on Twitter on Saturday and then Kuchar didn't do much to put it to rest on Sunday at Sony (where he then won, with his regular looper). Maybe it's not completely accurate, but cheapskate stories often get legs for a reason.

I'm also already tired of new-rules stories (OMG he's leaving the flagstick in!), so I'm hooking onto anything that's juicy.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kuchar said he paid the guy more than 3K but wouldn't divulge the amount. 10% is the standard for caddies when a guy wins but only if it's his regular guy or another Tour caddie. The guy in Mexico was a regular caddie at that resort. In those cases it's standard to pay 5% because there were no travel expenses. But 5% is still still around 60K for that tournament. So somewhere between 3K and that lies the truth. My moles tell me Kuchar is extremely tight with a buck, for what it's worth.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kuchar said it wasn't $3k and it wasn't 10 percent, leaving open an ocean of interpretation. He also said "it's not a story," which never comes across very well. That's not your call, Kooch.

Sheesh, $46 million in official Tour earnings plus piles of endorsement cash (from being that smiley good guy and all), yet he's a skinflint. Just uncool.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe he left him a couple of free pairs of Sketchers.

playthrough and Chef2 like this.
  9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Woods waited forever, but he was always going to play Torrey.

So he’s committed to six now. Torrey, Genesis and the four majors. The Players and Bay Hill are locks, probably.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bay Hill and the Players are back-to-back. He'll probably do Match Play and there's a WGC in Mexico after Genesis. Probably plays Quail Hollow as his PGA tuneup and the Memorial ahead of the U.S. Open and the new Minnesota event ahead of The Open.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My educated guess at his schedule.

1/24-27: Farmers Insurance Open
    2/14-17: Genesis Open
    2/28-3/3: Honda Classic
    3/7-10: Bay Hill
    3/14-17: The Players Championship
    3/27-31: Match Play
    4/11-14: The Masters
    5/2-5/5: Wells Fargo
    5/16-19: PGA Championship
    5/30-6/2: Memorial
    6/13-16: US Open
    7/4-7: 3M Open
    7/18-21: The Open
    7/25-28: WGC-St. Jude

Could be a tossup between 3M and Rocket Challenge.
    Valspar won't happen this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted