1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Some big news in the Tennis world.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

He has to play Wimbledon one more time at least. Wouldn’t mind him making his finale in Flushing either.

Last of the Big Four to win a Grand Slam tournament and the first to punch out. Not much coming up behind them. Hate to say it but teen Slam winners Boris Becker, Mats Wilander and Michael Chang ain’t walking through that door.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Venus on right now against some Romanian I've never heard of, and the Romanian is the seeded one. Also surprising is that Buzarnescu is 30. Don't see too many matchups of players in their 30s on tour anymore.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority, but IMO there was never a Big Four. Just a Big Three.

Grand Slam titles

Roger Federer: 20
    Rafael Nadal: 17
    Novak Djokovic: 14

Andy Murray: 3
    Stan Wawrinka: 3
    Marin Cilic: 1
    Juan Martin Del Potro: 1

Murray seems to fit better with the bottom group, although he did lose eight GS finals to just one for Wawrinka and del Potro and two for Cilic.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I know there's a formula and everything but I think the entire women's draw would agree that underseeding Serena isn't all that fair to the bracket as a whole.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah, it felt like Halep vs. Serena should have been a semifinal at the least if not a final.

Biggest story for me in the Aussie Open is still Frances Tiafoe. I hope he puts up a good fight against Rafa tonight. Not sure if I can catch the 4:15 a.m. start but it should be a hell of a match.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IIRC, the reason it was a Big 4 was that Murray plus those others almost invariably made up the semis for nearly every major. For Murray to make 11 major (please not GS) finals was enough for me.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Serena was down a set and a break, then rattles off seven of the next eight games to go up 5-1 in the third against Karolina Pliskova. Serena then twists and ankle and loses four straight games and now 5-5 in the third.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Serena loses six straight games -- and can't convert four match points -- and is out.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Why no trainer? Has to be one of the most egregious tennis choke jobs ever. Heyabbott gloats in 3..2..1

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Tennis would make a lot more money if they advertised when these matches were going to be broadcast.

Lugnuts and TigerVols like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can do it sometimes, but if Serena is playing after a 7 p.m. men's match, her match may start at 9:15. Or it may start at 11:45.

Draft saved Draft deleted