1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times moving to El Segundo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 17, 2018.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Newspapers following the web's lead should work.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When he was still at the OC Weekly, Gustavo did outstanding work in dissecting the internal problems at the OC Register under the Aaron Kushner/Eric Spitz failed reign. His stuff before that was tainted by his failed attempts to get a job there. His series on the OCR had a fabulous drawing on the cover of nude Kushner sitting on a wrecking ball that was about to crash into the OCR building, and the staff running for their lives.

kushner.jpg

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good Lord, I just had some major flashbacks.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Lie down, get a cool drink and breathe deeply.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Morning Briefing returns to LAT Sports pages after way too many years.

I'm kind of meh on the first offering, but I like Houston Mitchell's stuff and I'm sure it will get better

Recently, The Times’ brain trust asked Mr. Peabody and Sherman to use the wayback machine to travel into the past and return with a former sports Page 2 feature that people loved: Morning Briefing. They successfully made it back yesterday, and we are proud to reintroduce the feature today. A compilation of items that you may have missed in the sports world, it will run Monday-Friday, and I’ll be your host throughout the festivities. So let’s get right to it.

Morning Briefing: Tom Brady, underdog?

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Man that was lame.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Have you been reading Morning Briefing?...it's about as good as Terry Bradshaw's singing...it's as woke as a Gillette ad...if it was written by a Generation Xer...Morning Briefing: Hey everyone, LaVar Ball is back!

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It truly is amazing that some newspapers have continued to excel despite the constant cuts, which take their toll on things like work load, morale, etc. Journalists are about the most resilient creatures alive in their loyalty, devotion, work ethic, desire to put out top-quality stories (ditto copy editors). The only problem is the suits. In spite of them, like I said, the work remains outstanding. Fredrick will never be convinced there is no market for the print product. Fredrick IS CONVINCED the upper echelon (the brass at the top of these huge companies that are out to bleed newspapers out of every cent then abruptly close the doors) led to the demise. (today's lol: Have you seen what newspapers are charging the elderly boomers now for subscriptions)?

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Frederick, for once I agree with you. As a subscriber I think the LA Times is following the Bezos/Washington Post model of putting out a quality product. Hurrah.

Sadly, I think that the bloodsuckers will be responsible for a lot of newspaper deaths. I wonder particularity on long the LANG group, owned by DFM and apparently profitable, will keep its doors open. In the leaked financial reports for the year ended June 30,2017 the LANG group had profit eight percent revenue, much lower than any other DFM property. Given the subsequent revenue losses that have afflicted newspapers and the competition from the Times I wonder how the group is doing.

Newsonomics: Alden Global Capital is making so much money wrecking local journalism it might not want to stop anytime soon

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

LANG just offered buyouts.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are they still raising subscription rates or is the competition from the Times forcing LANG to maintain the same rates. Basically the business model for liquidator is to raise rates to alleviate the revenue losses in advertising and the drops in circulation. But LANG has to worry that subscribers will just change papers. Especially since LANG is cutting local staff and therefore must be relying more on the central desk and wire copy.

How many truly local stories does someone like Torrance or Long Beach still produce. What is the point of subscribing?

Draft saved Draft deleted