1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't know what the internal procedures are, but it was a big rivalry game so the AD and at least a couple of principals or vice principals were there. The AD is also a former coach, fairly young, so I'm sure whatever internal discipline will be done is a formality. They saw how ridiculous it was.
    The shitty part is that the state association assesses a $350 fine for any coach that gets ejected. The coach has to pay that out of his own pocket. Not putting it in my game story isn't going to get the coach a refund, though.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll defer to any of the working refs/rules experts on this board, but per what I've been told, a team can keep playing with just one player on the court until it has to inbound the ball. Seen a few 5-on-4 finishes, but that's it.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Alabama finished a game last season against Minnesota 5-on-3, didn't it?
    What happens if they do get down to one? Or none? Do they have to forfeit, or is there some provision to keep two on the floor? Like every foul thereafter is a technical?

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Is that better than the aftermath that's coming when your coverage area gets shrunk after the fact and your all-area team isn't going to include those schools, especially after they came in for pictures.

Rhody31 likes this.
  5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

We've received a number of complaints this season asking why we just focus on the teams in our coverage area in our stories and briefs, even going as far as asking if we think our readers are too unsophisticated for info about teams outside of the area.

No, dummy. If we had all night to put together this info, we probably could. But we've got just 1-3 people nightly who cover their own game while one other part-timer handles the bulk of the roundup for our 11 area schools. Varsity games don't get started until close to 7:30 most nights so most results start rolling in around 9, and the section has to be sent to press by 11. Not a lot of time to spend worrying about kids from schools we don't give a damn about. Plus, those schools don't send us game stats, so we have to hope the local team's 7th and 8th grade statkeepers were paying attention when their team didn't have the ball.

But of course, that wasn't our response. We caved.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That won't happen with me. cutdown was due to subscribers / where ads come from

7. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Was skimming through an article online about the region's #2 college softball team, and the first response in the comment section is someone bitching about how the article is proof that the paper doesn't care about covering the region's #1 college softball team because it wasn't about them.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah, this is one I've wrestled with a couple of times, in different ways. If you're working for the Podunk Gazette Podunk High is making a run at a playoff spot, you need that Springfield-Shelbyville (both outside the area, but in the same league as Podunk High) score to see where Podunk High lies in the standings. Don't have to staff the game, but a call or two or a quick check of the web can get you that. If staffing all the games of teams in Podunk's league takes away from covering other schools in your area, then, too bad for those who want comprehensive leaguewide coverage.

At one stop, one season we had about a half-dozen kids who enrolled at Springfield Catholic, a good 40 or so miles out of our area, but a few parents wanted stories on the games. Sports editor finally worked out something where we'd highlight the local kids in the roundup. After I left sports there, I heard some administrators at a small school maybe 25 miles out of town thought we should run things on their games since they lived in town. That was rejected, and rightfully so.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

This was my life as an SE.

Four schools in the coverage area. One in the county seat (bigger, but not by much, than the others) who hasn't really had much going athletically in years. But the community is very insular and expects the newspaper SE to be an unabashed homer for that school (and that school only). Two nearby schools whose enrollments are pretty similar to the "big" school who have, combined, won something like 10 state championships in the last decade and a half. EVERY time we'd centerpiece the county schools that were on their way to another deep state tourney run, I'd get calls, emails, anonymous letters accusing me of being biased against their school, hating their school, not covering their school. (Let's see ... the team I'm covering is in the state semifinal. Your team went 1-9 and its season ended four weeks ago).

PaperClip529 and Tweener like this.
  10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I freelance for a local monthly magazine that's kind of a feel-good magazine for the city. It has lots of feature stories on local folks, stories about home remodels, blah blah. Every city has a magazine like it. Last year, a lady I knew from a church I attended years ago emailed me to pitch a story about a local nursing home where her aunt received some outstanding care. I had no interest in the story, but sent a nice reply saying that I had forwarded it on to my editor, which I had done. The next day, the lady left some information about the story in the box on my office door, at my job that has nothing to do with the magazine for which I freelance. It's hard to get to my office; there's no public parking close to my building, and my office is at the end of a hall. It's a destination location; you don't just happen to be passing by.

Today, the same lady emailed to thank me for helping to get a story published about a local nursing home where her aunt received some outstanding care. But the thing is, the story was in ANOTHER magazine entirely, a magazine I have nothing to do with. But she was very thankful that I had pulled some strings and gotten the story published.

You're welcome?

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Memorial Day deadlines meant that our print edition coverage for state track got bumped an issue down the road.
    So here comes the call Monday morning with a parent intent on getting out his entire rant, despite me breaking in several times and calmly assuring him coverage was already online and would appear in print in the next day's paper due to the holiday.
    I don't think he heard a word I said, he was so keyed up to get his obviously rehearsed complaint to my ears since we suddenly stopped covering the area high schools entirely :)

Finally, rant over, I communicate the holiday deadline delay one last time.
    Some mumbling and a click.

Can't please some people.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'm readying for this because not only have the higher-ups decided to cut one day of print from the paper, they decided to make it a Sunday paper and to implement the cut this week, which is the same weekend as our state track meet.

Draft saved Draft deleted