1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Newly minted heavyweight champion Jack Johnson fought Victor McLaglen, who won the Best Actor Oscar for The Informer in 1935, in a six-round exhibition in Vancouver on March 10, 1909. As I noted some sources had it as a fight for the title. McLaglen was also in The Quiet Man.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

stupid me, I figured the actor had already won the Oscar when he was in the fight, like an exhibition.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Ivy League was formed in 1954. Who are the league's all-time top four NFL passers, by passing yardage?

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I read the book a few weeks back, but am unsure. I want to say Marino, but not super sure.

5. cyclingwriter2

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Fiedler and...Brian Dowling? No idea on a fourth..

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fitz is 1, Fiedler 2. No on Brian Dowling.

RonClements likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes! I love that movie! He was Will Danaher, the guy who got into the epic knock-down drag-out brawl with John Wayne.

Clarification: I'm referring to The Quiet Man in case you didn't already know.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Kevin Walker, West Milford, NJ, The Citadel. His brother was a good baseball player, pretty sure played at one of the NJAC schools.

Chef2 likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

yep

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

His brother is a friend of a friend and played against him in summer ball years ago. Another obscure one, who is the Olympic gold medal
    winner from the same hometown and hs. had to check to be sure, but it was the Olympics after Jackson's injury.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yup, followed by Mike Rozier in 1984 and Jerry Rice in 1985. Pretty amazing that the USFL pegged two hall of Famers who fell pretty far in the Nfl draft

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

Can’t remember, which team drafted rice in 85?

Draft saved Draft deleted