1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing interest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm reading Pearlman's USFL book and the section on the Bandits is pretty damn cool. Their marketing department -- a lot of Burt Reynolds -- ran a clinic in that first year.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm the same, but I would change the word Sports to Games. I still enjoy following, reading about and discussing sports, I'm just not that much into watching games anymore. They are frequently on in my house, but they get half of my attention while my phone gets the rest.

I have followed the LA Kings for 45 years and now I pretty much just check scores on my phone and only watch the last 10 minutes of games if they are close.

Even going to games isn't so much fun. Part of that is the travel and time involved, but the other part is that I've been to so many games, nothing is special anymore.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm the same way with sports, especially football and basketball. I can still get into OU football and basketball, and I'll still watch my Bills on occasion, but I don't get very into the NBA or MLB like I used to.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not as big in sports now as I used to be. Some of that is being more interested in my phone now. My local NBA and NHL teams are rebuilding and I realized that I don’t even know have the guys on the team or where they are in the standings.

Politics, I’m just tired of the endless shrieking and the dumb talking points and slogans. Part of it also is feeling like I’m tired of saying “I told you so” and feel like if they want to drive off the cliff, just go ahead while I munch on some popcorn.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Sports, and though it used to distress me a little, I’m completely over it now. The only time I ever give a rat’s ass about competition is either when my college is competing or when I or one of my kids is. And I only care that we’re giving a good effort, don’t care if we win or lose. It’s weird, too, because I have 6 brothers and 5 sisters, and growing up our lives completely revolved around local youth football, basketball and baseball. But even youth sports as they’re contested today is unappealing. Bah humbug.

Slacker likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Chef, man, this isn’t healthy!

Hope it works out for you.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I do not give half a fuck about football any longer, and consider it a rather healthy descent into old age

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Slacker likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh no man. All good. Just a long and stressful week.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The Boise State victory over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl was such a Fuckin' Great All-Time Instant Classic that I bought the DVD off the TV commercial the minute I first saw it. Just so I could watch that game again for the rest of my life.

Never even watched it once. ... Maybe when I'm 80?

EDIT: This version is me, too. I usually just track games online while doing other stuff.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That was almost as much fun as watching Bama lose another title game!

OscarMadison and Batman like this.
  12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm in much the same boat. I was majorly burned out when I left the business a few years back to go back to college full-time. I thought getting out would let me become a fan again, but instead I've just kept drifting. It's kind of disconcerting how detached I've become; I used to live and breathe Husker football and basketball as a kid, which would always provide conversation fodder for me and my dad, but I haven't watched a game in years. Fantasy sports, podcasts, following leagues in which I had no direct rooting interest -- all that's gone. The only sports podcast I listen to even occasionally is Burn It All Down, and the only sport I really keep up with is soccer, partly because it's still tough to quit and partly because it's an easy point of entry into whatever country I happen to be living in at the moment.

It's hard to envision what would fire that love of sports again. Getting back into the business doesn't seem like a viable option at this point, and the odds of having a kid are somewhere between risible and non-existent. I might be pushed into it if I ever follow through on my threat of going into teaching, but even then I'm not sure it would be more than a pro forma interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted