1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/most important American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Bangles started out great as 60s influenced Rubber Soul/ Revolver Beatles devotees, California dreamers also influenced by Fairport Convention, British folk and Dylan, but they got swept up in MTV starmaking machinery, Susannah Hoffs got an agent who wanted to make her "the star," the group's balance was destroyed and they broke up.

(Ironically the Go-Go's were also sunk when the lead singer got managers who wanted her to become "the star" of the group. Both bands were better as ensemble units.)

The Bangles were also pretty heavily influenced by the Velvet Underground, especially bassist Michael Steele, once of the Runaways, who provided some edgy dark textured songs to counterbalance Hoffs' bubbly pop tunes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Another of the great "What if's?" in rock history, who knows where the Allmans would have gone if Duane had lived? He was much more of a leader than Gregg and probably would have had them pushing the boundaries rather than the ebbs and flows their career followed after his death. Even Dickey Betts knew Duane was in charge. Or would Duane have left the band in pursuit of another challenge?

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or he would have OD'd from his heroin use before long. Dude was a worse addict than his brother from what I gleaned from Greg's memoir.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thoughts:
    Seger doesn't belong in this thread, but I dig the hell out of his music.
    I will listen to any Heart song, hopefully with a video of the young Ann Wilson.
    In 1964 I would have argued with anybody who didn't think the Beach Boys were better than the Beatles.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You are right - but I've seen Eagles shows in the 70s and once they returned. Not a lot of fireworks (literally or figuratively). They didn't have a great frontman like Mick who could engage a live audience, they didn't move around a lot. They played their songs and that's about it.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or imagine Derek and the Dominos having a long multi-album career, saving Clapton from his descent into late-70s irrelevance and aimless late-career solo wandering.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. CD Boogie

Never been a fan. I like Hotel California (the song) and Already Gone, but otherwise I genuinely dislike their brand of music. I like Don Henley's solo stuff, though. Building the Perfect Beast and End of the Innocence are great albums. Sunset Grill and New York Minute are two great songs you rarely hear on the radio.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not most important, but sort of important: Husker Du.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. CD Boogie

I've heard the name, but wouldn't know a single song by them. Or if I do, I don't realize it. I seem to remember their name would pop up a lot in the writings of Chuck Klosterman. He is a Kiss superfan, which says all you need to know about his taste in music.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems the '80s had a bunch of Next Great American Bands: The Del Fuegos, The Hooters to name a couple.

Draft saved Draft deleted