1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I mean, this was a dog of a game for the Caps, but still ...
    [​IMG]

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

So, what happened?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Torts. Read that quote ... sounds like Torts - minus a fistful of expletives.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Cosmo likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It slays me that the Capitals have won 14 straight against the Bruins. It's not like the Bruins suck. What a weird run.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really weird. I was still in DC the last time the Bruins won against the Caps. And yeah, they're pretty good.
    Milbury took them to task for starting Halak over Rask last night. Given my feelings about Halak, I'm glad they started him.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched Rangers-Islanders yesterday with mixed feelings. The Rangers are about ready to have some guys sold off for prospects and draft picks. And they look like they really have hit a wall on the season, like some players are going through the motions. Mats Zucrarello is almost definitely going to be gone, and that makes me sad. I love him. Kevin Hayes is on an expiring one-year deal, so they will either have to get a really good package or sign him and pay him more than they would have had to if they had done the deal last summer. I am guessing they won't trade Kreider. I will punch a wall if they move him and don't get enough. It is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. A few other guys like Adam McQuaid and Freddie Claessen could be of interest to some teams looking toward the playoffs.

The upside is that they have a lot of good pieces in place. Not just the Filip Chytil, Brett Howden, Neil Pionk, etc. on the roster right now, but prospects sprinkled all over the place, including a lights out goalie in the KHL. I got to see K'Andre Miller, Vitaly Kravtsov and Nils Lundkvist in the World Jr. tournament, and all looked impressive. The Rangers may not have screwed up the first pick this year with Kravtsov, and Miller, who is playing college hockey at Wisconsin, looks like a man amongst boys at that level. For the first time in years, they are stacked with a lot of prospects. Nobody likes a rebuilding, but I can't complain with how they have gone about it.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can get behind a rebuilding if there seems to be good direction and an eye toward the future. You grow with those players. I remember that first year that the Caps squeaked into the playoffs with this current core, and how much fun it was to see it all come together.

I can only hope my baseball team (Baltimore) embraces this approach over the next few years. Burn it to the ground. I can take losing if you're building toward something. What happened last year, with a bunch of old, broken down players on horrible contracts finding new ways to lose ... that's where I tune out.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Doesn't see a problem here.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

These days, everybody likes rebuilding. It’s way easier to dream on the future than it is to take risk of failure in the present. Fans seem almost disappointed when their teams aren’t rebuilding.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mediocrity is better?

Draft saved Draft deleted