1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2018.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Moddy (and others), what are some of your go-to foods/meals? What food satisfies and keeps you in the keto range? We're aiming for no more than 25 grams of carbs a day. Just looking for some ideas we can incorporate into our meal plans.

We bought one of those quick-cook pressure cookers, and last night we had chicken wings, which were fantastic. Tonight I'm grilling prime ribeye steaks with some veggies.

Also, how hard is it to stick to the plan long-term? We're giving it three months, but I'd like strategies or tips for keeping on it indefinitely.

Thanks,
    swingline

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter made a Mexican Chicken Soup yesterday that was amazing. Garnished with cheese and a bit of sour cream. Total Keto. She made a pork roast in some kind of Italian marinade for dinner, also amazing. My daughter in law made a mug cake for dessert, Keto friendly and delicious. Will post that recipe later.

I eat a lot of eggs and cheese. Some kind of meat every night. I've been totally true to it for three months and am going to stick to it another three and see where I am. I miss pasta, I miss bread, I'd like a piece of fruit. But short(ish) term I can deal. Instead of my weekly huge pasta dinner, I now do stuffed peppers once a week as my look-forward-to big meal. They're very good and I can use beef, chicken or turkey. Whatever is on sale

Went back to my doctor the other day and her reaction - "INCREDIBLE" - keeps me fired up. I'm down 38 pounds since Oct. 1. More important, my A1C went from 6.5 to 5.7. The doctor said she'd never seen that in only three months without medication. She wants me back in six months rather than three.

So the stuff works.

I'll post some recipes later

swingline and John B. Foster like this.
  3. swingline

Thanks, Moddy. I look forward to the recipes.

4. Moderator1

Bear with me. I got a later start home so it will probably be tomorrow

5. Moderator1

6. swingline

Thanks, Moddy.

As we're still getting into it, how many carbs do you allow yourself per day? We're doing about 25 a day.

7. Moderator1

I try to keep it below 20, which is easier said than done. I'm told as long as you're under 35 you're fine

8. Moderator1

9. swingline

Twenty carbs? Damn, that's low.

Less than a week in, I already feel much better. I know I've lost weight, but I'm waiting another two weeks to step on the scale because this is more than just a weight-loss plan — it's a lifestyle change.

My wife just read a couple of NIH reports that tout the health benefits of the Keto plan, so even the gov'mint agrees that getting off carbs is good for you.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Down 7 pounds since Dec. 31. The best thing is how much energy I have...it's truly remarkable (shocking, actually) just how badly our bodies perform when powered almost exclusively by carbohydrates.

How's things @Moderator1? You've inspired me.

11. Moderator1

Why thank you, that makes me feel good.
    Hit the 42-pound mark this morning since my start date of Oct. 1. A couple of weeks away from being under 200 for the first time in 30 years.
    Feel great, lots of energy. Want a bowl of pasta in the worst way but I'm not going close to hungry.

Vombatus and John B. Foster like this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Super!

The amazing thing to me is how easy it is to lose - basically by restraining what you put in your piehole.

Up at JHMI, we like to discuss decision making, and if you had a choice between eating a donut and having to walk 16 laps to burn it off versus just foregoing eating the thing in the first place, the latter is far easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted