1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sure, I agree baseball execs have done a good job integrating the newer metrics into their player evaluations and made better decisions overall. No question. But is the fact that the two biggest FAs are still available in January a sign of that? I'm not so sure.

Teams have long known that Cashman's M.O. is to lay back and tell agents to get their best offers from other teams and give him the last crack to top it. So now the rest of the league is waiting longer to make their best and final offer. I don't know if they're hoping Cashman will get antsy and make a move, or if MLB wants teams to put off real negotiations with top talent to keep the league in the news until Spring Training, but I don't think it has much to do with the intelligence of baseball executives.

Hell, Andrew McCutchen just got 3 years/$50 million at age 32 despite only a single year of 30+ HRs in his career and an OBP under .370 the last three seasons. GMs are still plenty willing to throw silly money around.

It seems to me it's more a matter of Manny and Harper hoping the other one signs first so he can get a bigger contract than the other guy than it is about the IQ of GMs across the league.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are still willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money, but far less likely to do it with long-term deals. I agree that McCutchen got too much, but it's a three-year deal. I think the length of the contracts Harper and Machado want is the real issue, not the salary per year.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does boras represent NFL players, would he be Murray’s nfl agent

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Man, I'll never feel sorry for the guy, but Boras is taking some hits. I still think the smarter play for Murray is baseball, then football if it doesn't work out. Of course, I have no doubt some team would take Murray in the top 15 which comes with $15m to $30m guaranteed at least. In the NFL, you really don't need an agent as a rookie anymore.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think Murray will definitely need an agent to negotiate any offset language in that rookie contract.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure if he doesn't go top half of round 1 - he plays baseball yes? You don't want to be just another disposable QB. And where would he go anyway? Giants? Skins? Denver? Jacksonville? I just don't see many teams where he would be a fit with the coaching staff.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Nats sign Brian Dozier, one year for $9 million.

I continue to love all the moves this team has made this offseason.

10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

No bad one-year deals. In addition, I think he has a rebounding season.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It was a tough year to be a second baseman on the market this offseason. There are a glut of options in free agency at the position.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Jed Lowrie to the Mets, two years, $20 million. Former agent, Brodie Van Wagenen.

Sort of a crowded infield right now. Frazier at third, Rosario at short, Cano and second and I'd imagine Peter Alonso at first if he has a good spring.

Draft saved Draft deleted