1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

upload_2019-1-10_15-32-5.png

"Boys, in my first year as a college coach, I led my team to the Holiday Bowl -- and we won!"

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Tommy Tuberville managed to have a winning record there. Actually, the last three head coaches did, and Mike Leach was downright great there.

Kliff, though, not so much.

With Patrick Mahomes at QB.

Hermes likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Touche.

I do think there's respect for his offensive mind and a feeling it could work in the NFL where it didn't in college.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem was never the offense at Tech, but the D.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Of course, but there are all sorts of variables that are different in building an NFL defense and a college defense.

Reputation matters so much more in college because of the recruiting element. For someone my age (34) and younger, Texas Tech is just the place where Mike Leach put up a million points and didn't care about defense. Why would a top defensive recruit even consider Tech?

In the NFL, I just don't think those reputations matter. Coaches turn over every couple years. You get to draft whoever you want and that player has to play in your uniform.

In the NFL, Matt Nagy can have a historically-great defense. Would Matt Nagy be able to recruit that sort of defense in college at, say, Illinois, given his expertise being offensive? I don't know. Brian Billick's teams were never good at what he was best. And he won a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying Kingsbury is going to be good, but there might be execs who think he's a better NFL coach than college coach.

We'll see.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's the head coach. Both sides, plus specials, fall under his purview.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Gase is a pretty good HC who got sideways with a shitty, immature roster down in Miami.

Then again, Bowles was a pretty good HC for a hideous collection of talent. I think he gets another crack at head coach.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doesn't Gase bear some responsibility for the players in Miami behaving with a lack of maturity?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, yes and no. Gase wanted to win football games on a team with virtually no leadership when he got there.

Nevertheless, it wasn't that bad of a stretch. Gase will go to the Jets and put them in the tournament next year.

And I think Bowles deserves a shot elsewhere, too.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's weird to see you say that, when his best season by far was his first one.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alma, remind me in August to bet you on this. The Jets might get better, but they sure won't make the playoffs unless Brady retires, and even then...

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the key problem with the Gase hire is that job 1 is make Darnold "elite-ish" - something he's never shown he can do with a QB. And Manning doesn't count.

Draft saved Draft deleted