1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Used to Write for Sports Illustrated. Now I Deliver Packages for Amazon.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Slacker, Dec 25, 2018.

1. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

Ha! Yes to both of these.

Although I was recently in a McD's in a big city and a guy working there threw open the bathroom door and said, "The toilets working OK in here?"

I don't know what the person inside said, but the worker replied, "Shit!" and ran off to get a mop and bucket.

I held it that time.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Agree. I tried to listen to the Sepinwall and Dan Haren talk with Traina about The Office and it was so bad I had to turn it off after 10 mins.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is Sepinwall still a thing? Seems like I haven't heard his name in a long time.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She was raped in college and had serious PTSD problems. Her mother wrote about it in the NYT and the daughter wrote about it in a college publication.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

While I was interested to know what happened to the writer because we'd met in a few press rooms ... most of the article made me cringe. From the headline to the resume thumping to gliding over the real reason he and SI "parted ways" to the disingenuous premise that he was too embarrassed to talk about his Amazon job at holiday parties -- yet then paraded the fact that he took a mid-career crap-job all over the pages of The Atlantic.

There were also jarring sentences like this:
    "... me, a fair-haired Anglo-Saxon with a Roman numeral in my name... a minority..." GADZOOKS!

Or labeling himself a hero for being college educated, getting a ton of opportunity at SI, then taking a menial job. Quote: " The hero’s journey, according to Joseph Campbell, features a descent into the belly of the beast: Think of Jonah in the whale, or me locked in the cargo bay ..."

Imo, he doesn't come off well.

It seems even more calculated when you do the math: 2,325 words in The Atlantic at $1-$2/word -- or more? He could probably buy a few port-o-potties with that -- or, more likely, turn in his keys.

exmediahack and Rhody31 like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"me, a fair-haired Anglo-Saxon with a Roman numeral in my name... a minority..."

JFC.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He could quit a full-time gig after making $4,650 (before taxes)?

cake in the rain likes this.
  9. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I didn't have a problem with that. He was being self-deprecating and poking fun at the fact that he is, in fact, the whitest person you will likely ever meet.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Perfect example of how meh Traina's opinions are:

In defense of Maroon 5 (sort of)

He never takes a hard stand on anything. This intro paragraph perfectly encapsulates his whole persona.

I'm not exactly a softie, but I feel bad for Maroon 5.

I’m neutral on the band. Don't like them, don't hate them. A quick check of my iTunes shows zero songs from the group, but like everyone else, my head bops around whenever I hear Moves Like Jagger and I was super impressed with Adam Levine’s rendition of Purple Rain at Howard Stern’s 60th birthday party in 2014.
    I have nothing against the guy, I just have marveled over the years that he's maintained a prominent online presence without any distinguishing personality traits. JFC, the title of the blog is "In defense of Maroon 5 (sort of)."

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Caught Traina's SI media podcast yesterday with the great Brent Musburger (listening just because I saw he was on it), and it was mediocre. The worst was how Traina pronounced Musburger's VSiN outlet as "vess-in", then Musburger would say "Vee-sin" as everyone on that network pronounces it, then Traina continued multiple times with "vess-in."

To be a good podcast host, being a good listener is kind of important.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"You were saying something?" - Bill Simmons

PaperClip529 and playthrough like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted