1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I was into "West Wing" big time -- watched an episode almost every day. I haven't watched one in two years.

As I recall, the Zoey kidnapping storyline was a mess because Sorkin had decided to jump ship, and intentionally left in the middle of the story arc with the whole thing unresolved.

Which undoubtedly accounts for the abrupt neat-as-pie resolution with zero (0) follow up:

1. President's daughter kidnapped by terrorists;

2. POTUS steps down under terms of the 25th. VP office is vacant due to previous resignation.

3. SOTH, a vocal leader of the opposition party, steps in as acting president. He threatens dramatic changes in policies as well as a lighting fast appointment of a new VP.

4. President's daughter recovered.

5. POTUS declares himself fit for service again. Acting POTUS accepts this without protest.

And aside from some continuing themes of Zoe having PTSD problems, that's pretty much the last we hear of it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Starman

I hadn't seen this ...

Northern Exposure reboot doesn’t want Janine Turner back?

I think their best move would be to just say that Maggie moved back to Bloomfield Hills and married a doctor of her own. The rough tough bush pilot chick became a society wife.

Nothing would rule out a surprise guest appearance by Turner at some point, but the show could move on without her.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The show was kind of a mess for a while after Sorkin left, especially that bit, though it did bounce back a bit in the final season.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

sopranos= worst parenting job in the world

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Says hold my beer...

[​IMG]

heyabbott and lakefront like this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Broadchurch dad would like a word with you.

7. Starman

He is his mommy's boy. His sons Uday and Qusay have adopted grandpa's greasy gangster look.

[​IMG]

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Which one? I just found out there was a remake, American version that was not so good I guess.
    God I love British television. Recently watched Dr. Foster. I can't put into words why they seem so superior, but something about their shows are superior to many of ours.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I just finished my binge of Babylon Berlin (in German with subtitles as recommended here). I thought parts of the show were amazing, but it was a little too contrived at the end. And even within the confines of the drama, so many characters were brutally beaten/nearly killed and snapped back almost immediately.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I can in three words: According to Jim

lakefront likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was that show even aspiring to be good? It seemed like they knew what it was and just tried to make a little money while it lasted.

To be fair, do we even see much of the crappy shows on British television? Maybe that is why it looks so good, that we only really see the best stuff.

Neutral Corner and lakefront like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It also probably helps that their model has been 6 to 13 episodes per season for a long time, whereas U.S. television has only recently shifted toward it. Simmons always points out that it's somewhat odd that Modern Family and Nurse Jackie are somehow in the same awards category, and that there should probably be shifts based on how often you broadcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted