1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Junior hockey team's bus involved in crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Their new coach and GM just resigned over Christmas. Have to think the emotional pressure was pretty intense.

2. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

This is an important point. It is also an issue in Southern Ontario, where the majority of the trucking industry in Canada is based. South Asians fill a lot of driver jobs because there were openings there - the hours are lousy and so is the pay if you work for certain companies. Many of these drivers are Sikhs and many are immigrants. This causes a lot of racially-based resentment. Also, years ago Ontario relaxed its regulations for getting a trucking licence so much (thank you Mike Harris) that truckers are no longer the best drivers on the road. You can make a case they are among the worst and most inconsiderate. It's a toxic mix.

HC likes this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My brother is a trucker who worked many years for a firm owned by south Asians, he will tell you that every word of that is true.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A guy I know from my OHL days just took an assistant coaching job with the Broncos.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There is a huge driver shortage in long haul trucking, and many physical jobs. Turnover is something above 100 percent. The industry is pushing hard for platooning (lead human driver wirelessly linked to "train" of autonomous trucks) and independent autonomous trucks.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

That Mike Harris is a real son of a bitch.

.... oh. ....

You meant the OTHER Mike Harris.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not at all sure what my role is in this, frankly!!!
    (Canada's Mike Harris is much better looking but I'm likely more popular)

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

No outing!

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Certainly true in our house! LOL

10. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

My apologies for forgetting to clarify - I was referring to the Canadian Mike Harris, whose transgressions include not only the trucking mess but a whole host of ills, perhaps led by seven people dying of contaminated water in Walkerton because he privatized the water-testing authority.

Moderator1 and HC like this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

(I knew that!)

Draft saved Draft deleted