1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl Season 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 14, 2018.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched Microville Tech win CWS championships on a Sunday night, a Monday night and a Thursday night.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dayem. What would a 29 get you?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Out-of-State Merit Scholarships | Undergraduate Scholarships | The University of Alabama

$15,000 off a year. That would make tuition about $11k a year.

Let's just say that my son and I are very aware of the options on the table -- just really depends on who wants him for his sport and if he wants to go to school there. Also why I tell him I don't care if he gets a job for $9/hour right now. Get that ACT up a point or two and that'll make tens of thousands in the long run.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Neutral Corner and britwrit like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agreed. But the national AP guy needs to get getting it done quicker than that. Especially in a blowout, with no fourth-quarter scoring. He actually couldn't find the time to post Lawrence's attempts/completions in the first lead, despite the fact he was taken out.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Play calling on offense was the break point. Clemson knew that they had a young QB up against a quality defense, so the majority of the passes called were out of his hand in two seconds or so. One, two, boom, gone. Tua seemed to have more time in general, but was still trying to figure out where he was going at the three/four count. Some of that was good coverage, some of it was that he was waiting for his routes to develop. I thought that Bama had an edge at WR over Clemson's DB's, but the reality was the opposite. Clemson attacked Alabama's DBs at the edges and won that matchup.

6. Neutral Corner

Alabama made a deliberate choice both to increase the student body number and to emphasize the number of out of state students. They need the money. They're paying on a billion with a B dollars of on-campus construction bonds

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I believe this is often called the "Flutie effect," as his Hail Mary turned BC from a regional catholic school to one with national recognition.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here in Cali, they started allowing more out of staters to our UCs as a way to increase the revenues, which irked me to no end because I've been paying taxes for what 30 years to pay for those schools and they should be for the in-staters (of course then my son turns down a UC to go to a big out of state Pub Univ (UW)). Short sighted strategy, at least here in Cal.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think there's a few elements (beyond the slight caveat that while the cheat like everyone else, they do it quite well).

1. They were ahead on a few things like emphasizing social media, adapting spread hurry-up offenses.
    2. More importantly, everything lined up

Hiring Dabo was somewhere between accident and vision. Someone saw this enthusiastic dude and thought he had it, where most guys like that don't.

When his career was on the ropes, they held onto him, scored a massive recruiting class and brought on a great offensive mind in Chad Morris. Then one of those recruits came in fully formed as a national-level talent in Watkins.

They could leverage that fun offense and Watkins in recruiting, plus they just hit on a shitload of other recruits in coming seasons. They got good, but still couldn't beat the in-state rival. They also picked up a DC that Oklahoma had unwisely discarded, one who was smart, aggressive, a good recruiter AND decided he wanted to stay after becoming one of the best DCs in the land.

Then they got a transcendent player, a good recruit, but not an unreal one. He, and hitting on all that talent meant a title, and for a program that had already raised recruiting, it went to an insane level.

Also in there, the lost Morris, promoted two guys below him, and they did a good job continuing it.

So to a degree, they IDed coaches well and maybe a few forward-thinking moves, but for the most part, they just made moves that made sense and they all worked.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

let us not eulogize Alabama yet. They are still a 10 point favorite against everyone else. They did beat Clemson last year.
    This year, Clemson owned them. And in the last 8 minutes, Alabama couldn't stop the 2nd team.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember a story about Miami in its heyday that led with the university president (or maybe it was the AD) showing the writer a chart that showed an almost direct correlation between the football team's record and applications for admission.

Draft saved Draft deleted