1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl Season 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 14, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kudos to Heather Dinich, who had 450 words or so posted on espn.com before Ralph Russo got off his ass and filed for AP about 12:05 -- a gamer he could have have written by the end of the third quarter. As usual, thanks for nothing AP.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Power 5 conference teams vs. members of other Power 5 leagues, 2016-18
    Big Ten: 34-26, .567
    It Just Means More: 35-35, .500
    ACC: 34-36, .486
    Pac 12: 21-23, .477
    Big 12: 21-25, .457

Nothing wrong with going .500, mind you. But if you're going to build an ad campaign that proclaims your supremacy, you might want to do more than break even.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’m surprised they played so many P5 games.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No surprise there. Heather always does a great job.

HappyCurmudgeon and Hermes like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Very well plugged in and playfully but artfully mocks ESPN's devotion to the SEC in its writing cast.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am curious how Clemson did it. I get the sense that they don't cheat (any more than anyone else does), they don't have one major sugar daddy and they've only had one recruiting class in the last five or six years ranked in the top 5 (4th) so it isn't like they're just getting better players than everyone else. Figure if they were going to get busted due to their ascent it would have happened already.

And as much fun as it is to bag on Saban - when he loses, he owns it (unless he's still campaigning for a spot in the playoff).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I just want my Laz-E-Boy girl to wear a Clemson cheerleader outfit for me. With the sequins. And the orange. And the purple.

That’s all.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Somewhere, I think Clemson just looked at the landscape and decided to put all the resources into football. Basketball is an afterthought.

Add in a coach who has built a national championship program and doesn’t appear to want to leave Clemson.

And don’t discount the marketing of this. I have no connection to Clemson or the region. However, my son has Clemson on his short list if they’ll let him walk-on for soccer. Because he’ll already get substantial merit aid at Clemson and “it looks like a pretty good time”.

I just want him to take a visit so I can score one of those shiny cheer uniforms.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

TPIUWOP

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Buffets man.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I had Clemson winning 38-34 or something like that. Never in anyone's wildest imagination did anyone figure on a shit-housing like this.
    Finebaum is going to be inconsolable today.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is actually a noticed effect of a football or basketball team winning a championship for a school. Applications almost always go up in the year or two afterward. Which conceivably brings in better accepted students, which should lift the perceived value of a degree. Also, in the case of a school like Clemson, which has different tuitions for in state and out of state, it gives them better students from out of state to choose from, and those students in effect subsidize some of the in state students, while raising the quality of the student body. I have no idea what the monetary value of that effect is to the school and its alumni, but it's probably not insignificant.

Draft saved Draft deleted