1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018-19 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Welp, which free agency do we now spend the next three years hyping and centering all discussions around because we have nothing else to talk about on MLB Network? Lindor?

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm pleased with the improvements to the pitching staff - my concern about resigning Harper was always that his return would limit other necessary improvements to the roster.

We get Sanchez and Corbin AND get to keep Harper? That's too good to be true.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Yankees have signed guys in the past that you never saw them go after? So that cashman hasn’t made a showing that he’s interested in Harper doesn’t mean anything.
    The Nats and Boras have a good relationaship and they have a lot of players on the roster repped by Boras. It wouldn’t surprise me that they are mutually using each other.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think the Cubs go all-in on Harper next week.
    I bet he ends up in Wrigley.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Arenado, Bumgarner, Kluber and Cole 2020. Trout, Betts and deGrom 2021.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yanks sign Britton

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Stealing @JC corners here:

The game is dying.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If only they could get @Junkie to schedule the baseball playoffs they’d be closer to 13 billion.

John B. Foster likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pitchers and catchers report in just over a month and the biggest FA is still without a team. I realize the same thing happened with JD Martinez - is this just baseball trying to break Boras?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s baseball being run by intelligent executives.

lakefront likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Is it? Are they going to pay less for Machado or Harper by waiting until January instead of sitting down and conducting real negotiations during the winter meetings?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Salaries went down on average last year. And yes, baseballl has far smarter executives than there used to be. Is this really a question that is up for debate?

Draft saved Draft deleted