1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl Season 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 14, 2018.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I remember the Cotton Bowl being a 1 p.m. EST game on CBS for most, if not all of the 80s and into the early 90s.

The Citrus Bowl has been 1 p.m. EST game on NYD since 1987 I believe.

Fiesta has gone from 1 p.m. to 4:30 to 8 p.m. from the 80s on depending on the matchup. I think the first primetime Fiesta Bowl was the Penn State-Miami game in 1987.

Orange Bowl has always went 8 p.m. for as long as I can remember.

The 1981 Sugar Bowl was actually a 1 p.m. game when Georgia beat Notre Dame to claim the 1980 championship. It was also an afternoon game in 1988 NYD when Auburn played Syracuse. It's been 8 p.m. or later ever since then.

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The first year ESPN did the Coaches Room was the FSU-Auburn title game and I was hooked. Kevin Sumlin correctly predicted FSU was going to run a fake punt when they did based on the personnel on the field and went back to the last time they tried a fake and ran the same personnel grouping out.

Last year was maybe my favorite Coaches Room moment. On the game-winning touchdown pass, David Cutcliffe said that Georgia was running a cover package he had never seen them do before and then spent the next few minutes dissecting the play and pointing out Tua's two wide-open check down options that would have easily gotten the first down on the third and long and how each Georgia DB looked confused as hell and failed to communicate. He deducted from it that Georgia had never called the play before in a game and had barely practiced it.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I don't recall the last time i saw a fake punt that didn't work. In college games I discard a lot of expectations on defense, because it's college.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shoulda' watched the Penn State -Kentucky game and you could have seen one.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Georgia royally botched one in the SEC championship game that probably cost them the game.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I suppose the argument is that you could make it into football's version of tennis' old U.S. Open Super Saturday format (men's semi, women's final, men's semi).

Wild-card game (12:30 p.m.), NCAA title (4 p.m.), wild-card game (8 p.m.).

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The way the Final Four is formatted, I think most people think of the main event being that Saturday. The championship game almost seems like an afterthought. I put it on in the background if I'm home that Monday and if baseball hasn't started and turn it up and pay attention during crunch time if the game is close, but Saturday is the day I look forward to.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

NFL isn't giving up their prime TV real estate to college.

But I could see, if the tournament expands. Something like a 12:30 p.m. NCAA semifinal on Wild Card Saturday, an 8 p.m. semifinal on Wild Card Sunday and the title game the Saturday before the conference championship games.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

In that 1994 Fiesta Bowl Miami set the standard for teams absolutely not wanting to play in a bowl game and clearly not pretending to even consider giving a shit about it. Guessing most of the players were hung over for the 10 AM PST start and didn't think twice about the 29-0 loss to Arizona.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Going back to the 70s and 80s, and living on the West Coast, it was Cotton Bowl on New Year's morning, Rose Bowl at 2 and Orange Bowl, and it's 45-minute halftime show, at night. The Sugar Bowl bounced around between morning, night and New Year's Eve.

But that was before there were 40 bowl games or whatever it is now. Gator, Tangerine, Sun, Bluebonnet, Liberty, Fiesta and Peach were about the only others ones. And the Blue-Gray game Christmas morning.

qtlaw likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

4:30 on a Saturday afternoon is THAT much more "prime" than 1 p.m.? It's the place where the least attractive wild-card matchup goes every year (which is why it always seems to involve some combination of Texans-Jaguars-Bengals-Titans, etc.).

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I love how ESPN glosses over Tua’s background. “You’ve All heard the story. Dad was tough on him as a kid and...” you mean abusive? Is that what you mean, Chris? You mean his dad beat him with a belt? As reported in a story originally done by you bastards?

Draft saved Draft deleted