1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kevin Hart named host of the Oscars - and bows out a few days later after old tweets resurface.

Golden Globe Nominations: Complete List

Is it just me or are the movies this year somewhat lacking? I like a lot of the nominated films, just not sure any of them qualify as great.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Weirdly inexcusable the Academy didn't run a simple social media check on its MC candidates in these hypersensitive times.

Also, the host doesn't need to be a comic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A Star is Born is going to win everything.

In the wokeness era, I really wanted the very white art prestige movie not to dominate, but it is a damn good movie.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I found this year’s assortment very enjoyable. I’m satisfied with the crop, certainly there have been much worse.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and it was very good. I'm glad Black Panther didn't get a best pic nod. It was run of the mill as a story.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It did get a best drama nod.

The Hate U Give should have received some nominations. It's better than BlacKKKlansman. Probably better than Bohemian Rhapsody (which I haven't seen).

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You should be an Oscars voter ;)

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It was a very good comic book movie. As was Avengers, Civil War, the 1st Iron Man, Wonder Woman and the Captain America movies. The Dark Knight was a very good movie, without regard to genre. I know why the Black Panther gets the acclaim it gets, but it should be just because it was a very good movie, not to patronize African Americans

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Vox Lux looks very interesting.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I assumed the Oscars had named someone to replace Hart by now - surprised there is still no host two months before the show.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Golden Globe opening is cringeworthy, in a bad way

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Just make Carol Burnett the host. Her speech tonight had me sobbing on my couch.

Also surprised of the love for Green Book tonight, considering that Don Shirley's family is...not fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted