1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

N.Y. Daily News changes sports editor to long-winded whatever title

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I mean, what do editors really do anyway, right?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who they gonna yell at now?

4. Della9250

5. nickp

nickp Active Member

pretty soon the Daily News will have no sports department at all

6. Della9250

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

In other words, they fired the sports editor. Thread should be renamed.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This probably had nothing to do with it ...

Barrow had been among the outspoken critics of the universal copy and design center that Tribune instituted last year in Chicago to handle all the papers in its chain as part of its ongoing cost-chopping moves. Barrow was furious that the shared facility meant that sometimes late-breaking scores and sports news could not make the sports final edition of the next day’s paper.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The semantics are so ridiculous.
    Back in my first layoff, it was a situation where there were 3 papers in a chain. We were No. 2 in circulation of the three, but No. 3 was very well-read, though in a smaller community. At the time, I was laying out papers 2 and 3. There was a prep editor at No. 2.
    The layoff process began, and I got whacked, being told that my job was eliminated. OK, that meant you're eliminating the job of laying out two papers a night. Uh, no. Bullshit. They still had to have somebody do that.
    The prep editor at No. 2 was unhappy and wanted to leave. When the layoffs started, he told the editor he wanted leave, so please lay him off in order to save someone else's job. The editor stammered, and told him he was on the layoff list. They had eliminated his job. No prep editor? Bullshit. Semantics.
    They can do whatever they want and call it whatever they want.
    Side note: I knew Mark Alesia very well when he worked at the L.A. Daily News. We were neighbors, in fact. He has been a force in investigative journalism for more than 25 years. I hope it wanted to leave and did so on his own terms.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm curious how design is handled for the NYDN. Tribune is highly dependent on modules for its broadsheet products --- single pages, half-pages and quarter-pages are designed and edited once and then picked up by the other papers. But that won't fly with a tabloid.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The production of the Daily News is done in New York.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My guess, based only on reading a couple earnings call transcripts, is that the future of the Daily News is very much up in the air. The paper's staff was gutted in July.

The Tribune company originally bought it to provide the company a national foot print. But now that the Southern California properties have been sold that strategy seems outdated. The efforts to sell the company failed. Revenues company wide were down 9.6% in the third quarter. I wonder if the Daily News is still losing money if it will be closed.

Draft saved Draft deleted