1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett Buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Writer

Writer Member

It looks like Gannett has had a lot of buyouts across the country this week. Was there any sports writers who took the buyout?

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

3. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

Six people took buyouts in mine. None were sports.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indy, Mark Alesia (who broke the Nasser/MSU/USA Gymnastics story) was the one with a connection to sports.

Others were Gary Varvel (longtime cartoonist), Leisa Richardson (planning editor), Tom Leyden (online editor), Greg Weaver (government editor) and Will Higgins (news-side reporter).

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Mike Davis (SE) in Milwaukee. I don't believe this was voluntary ...

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't know about sports, but news reporters Billy Watkins and Jerry Mitchell were bought out at the Clarion-Ledger in Mississippi. Mitchell is one of the best investigative reporters anywhere and has done a lot of great work digging into Mississippi's checkered past for more than 30 years. That's one of those losses that'll be felt not just at the newspaper, but across the state.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Holy shit, didn't realize Mitchell took the buyout.

It's impossible to overstate the impact he had on the entire journalism world. Such a loss for the C-L.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jerry Mitchell? That's one of those things that you see and just kills you as a young reporter. If Mitchell doesn't get to retire when he wants after the things he's done for Gannett, nobody does. Probably done more for the Gannett brand (in a positive way) than any reporter. He's 60 and I'm sure will continue to do great work somewhere, but damn....

McArthur Genius Grant, put four klansmen behind bars, oddly enough - never won a Pulitzer.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's MacArthur, genius.

:D

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thats why i don't have one.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mitchell is going to start the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting, so he's landing on his feet and might still be doing some stuff. It's still a big blow losing someone like that from the active roster.

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted