1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Apparently not much happens on this thread. Anyway, an update. The first two weeks of December were 77 and 80 miles, long runs of 20 and 22. The third week was a planned step-back week, ran 40, but was fatigued the whole time. The fatigue ran into the last week, so instead of pushing and running the risk of injury, etc., I ran by feel, totaled just 37. Took several days off, got back out on the roads yesterday, ran a surprisingly easy 12 at a decent clip. Feel great today, so hopefully I'm over whatever it was that was causing the problems. Four and a half weeks out from the race, going to finish this week with probably 60, then a hard week next week and a gradual stepdown to race day.

Happy 2019 to everyone. Keep moving. It's good for the body and great for the mind as well.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It does happen just not as much as before.

An update on how to lose diabetes in 10 dates ... I was diagnosed with Type 2 on June 26, 2017, weighed 305 pounds, and the A1C was 6.4. Less than a year later the A1C dropped to 5.2 and I no longer had Type 2 diabetes. As of today I weigh 245 (it goes up or down a pound or two depending on the day) and the A1c is 5.0. I did all of this without medication even though the doc wanted to put me on Metformin upon diagnosis. I told him that I ate and slogged my way to Type 2 and that I can eat and exercise my way back to health. In a recent email he said I'm the "poster child here for getting into good control by exercise and diet" ... and so it can be done but it's super fucking hard and you have to be super fucking militant to make it happen. I overhauled my eating habits and I went to the gym 259 days in 2018 (and spent most of June and July doing 8 miles in laps every morning at the local high school track). It's a simple recipe that you adhere to or you don't. Now, I'd like to weigh between 230-235 but won't stress too much if I don't get there. Physically, I feel pretty good.

And, CBD full spectrum hemp oil is a godsend in terms of workout recovery and overall sense of feeling chill -- but without being high.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

CBD sounds like something NFL athletes should be able to use. I've heard nothing but good things from friends who have used it.

Songbird likes this.
  4. Songbird

CBD is so fantastic, man. I do cardio pretty hard several days a week. Afterward I take tincture drops and my knees and ankles and feet and toes (one of them becoming arthritic) feel great. The only downside is that it's fucking expensive.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

How often do you use it, and many drops per day? And so how long does a bottle last?

I'd like to try it, but it does seem expensive.

6. Songbird

CBDistillery's 2500 mg is ... AWESOME lol.

But a bottle costs $129 or so (at least where I buy it).

The higher the mg the higher the price.

A bottle of 1000 mg costs 60-something and that strength could suffice.

To answer @Slacker's question, I use it throughout the day. After the gym. A few hours later. Few hours after that. Then after dinner.

Here's how much goes into the tincture thing. I usually do 2 of those at at time sublingually (under the tongue).

[​IMG]

7. Songbird

There is NO reason NFL players shouldn't be allowed to use it. It's just hemp.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

So eight of those squirts a day means a bottle lasts you about a week? That adds up pretty fast.

9. Songbird

It does add up. So, I can either get lower mg bottles or not take as much high mg drops a day.

The 2500/1000 difference is kind of like the difference between first class/coach because once you've flown first class ...

And, sometimes I only do 1 squirt during the middle hours of the day into night.

Still learning the most effective dosing schedule.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  10. Songbird

Surprised no one has updated this in 8 months ...

Swimming total for the week: 300 lengths x 50 yards/length = 15,000 yards or 8.52 miles.

15-week swim total: 105.66 miles.

Walking total for the week: 55 miles.

The NYT just published a story based on a study comparing the hearts of swimmers and runners.

The Heart of a Swimmer vs. the Heart of a Runner

jlee and Pony_Express like this.
  11. Songbird

Everyone taking care of themselves? So far this week I've walked 61.5 miles and swum 200 laps (5,000 yards). I've walked well over 200 miles the last 3 weeks. The Type 2 is gone, I've lost 55-65 pounds depending on the day, and I move better and have my ol' carefree strut and agility back. On June 27, 2017 I weighed 305 pounds so I've come a long way, baby.

A lot of online friends -- JC, LTL, Stoney, Dick Whitman, BTE, speedtchr(2 lol), recovereddesker, Captain Dingleberry, Pallister, Quant, YF -- have been motivating each other to take care of our health through exercise and proper eating. Some pretty cool news: our boy Dick Whitman qualified for the Boston Marathon a few weeks ago after kicking ass and setting a PR (by 3+ minutes) in a Wisconsin marathon. He has busted his hump and trained hard just about every day to get to this point although he is a bit of a fat-ass.

Any successful health stories here?

HC likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm lighter than I've been in about 40 years. Gone from squeezing into 40 pants to having 34s fit easily. Eating better, exercising, enjoying life. I walk at least four miles every day, mix in a little running. Not doing any marathons, though. I'm 63 going on 33 and loving it.

Down 60, want to drop 20 more. I promised myself a new suit and a new tux when I reach my goal weight.

swingline likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted