1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Finally ( or as The Rock would say "Finnnallly!"), I get to start the pro wrestling thread.

So, what will we see in 2019? Will the new TV deals make the WWE step up the quality in the programming, or will they continue to be lame? Will The Elite join WWE or continue to make the independent scene kick ass? Will Lesnar actually show up anywheres? Will The Man become the E's long-awaited next Stone Cold? Heck, will Curt Hawkins finally get a win?

Here's to 2019.

John B. Foster likes this.
  2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I think the Elite have made it known they are not going to WWE.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. This should be interesting. Wonder how big this is going to get.

4. nietsroob17

Considering the money man is the son of a billionaire, whose offering his own stadium for the rally ... I think the sky is the limit.

And it's Cody who's the big face of the promotion with the Bucks, not Omega (yet). Jericho has also been teased.

5. John B. Foster

Do they dare to compete with the WWE?

Is this what the E need to elevate their product?

Any chance anyone from the E jumps to that promotion in 2019?

6. nietsroob17

Compete with WWE, I don't think so, but definitely could be among the contenders among the second tier vs. ROH and Impact.

Sheets have said there are some WWE wrestlers interested in jumping ship -- maybe the guys treading water, like Ryder, Hawkins, Breeze.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its all about TV. Is it going to be on and what channel? Has to be better than ROH and TNA in that regard to have a chance.

Like I cant find either of those shows and they’re a pain in the ass to dvr. If All Elite is the same I’m not going to watch it. If its 100% on YouTube I’m probably not going to watch it.

I think there are friends of Codys who will end up there. The pre-NXT generation who really never got their pushes.....Ryder, maybe Cesaro, those types of guys. If the moneys there maybe wwe has to worry a little more about how its treating the Rusevs of the world.

8. John B. Foster

I have a real hard time to see Cesaro leaving the WWE - especially if Sheamus sticks around. I imagine he would love a world title push, however, I think the E are using him pretty well right now.

9. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

If the goal is to compete with WWE, then it'll be fun to watch until it ultimately fails. Just tell good stories and put out an entertaining product. Personally, I hope they work with Corgan/Lagana.

10. nietsroob17

The interesting thing is they're holding a rally at the Jaguars stadium ... the same day WWE tapes Smackdown virtually next door.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Hows cody gonna be executive VP and a talent at the same time? Seems like a recipe for disaster. Too much politics. You cant be booker and be in the main event. Its never worked in the modern history of the business (excluding McMahon, I guess, vs Austin, although Id contend Rock was the main event wrestler so its different).

Meanwhile the second hour of Smackdown tonight was pretty awesome.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It only works if the wrestler/booker is willing to put over other talent. Kevin Sullivan pushed himself, but didn’t put himself totally on top.

Draft saved Draft deleted