1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Alford is out at UCLA.

My guess is Eric Musselman gets the job. UCLA has historically not landed big name coaches for that job for a variety of reasons. UCLA would pay a lot more than Nevada and give Musselman a better chance to to build a national power than in Reno.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about Musselman - great coach, but I've always had the impression he lacks the "refinement" that blue blood schools look for. He's coached whatever and wherever - I'm not sure he's the most booster-friendly coach out there (somewhere between Bob Huggins and Mike Leach). Oregon State could have had him four years ago, but they went for the more booster-friendly coach and they've gone nowhere. Meanwhile, Musselman hired an OSU assistant who took at least one Beaver recruit with him to Reno and he's now in G-League averaging 16 points and 8 rebounds a game in 26 minutes.

3. LanceyHoward

How good was Alford with the booster's? My impression of following Alford is that he is stand-offish. UCLA obviously has a "blue-blood pedigree" but does not seem to attract great candidates for the it when it opens (Alford, for example). I don't see UCLA attracting a Tony Bennett type for a variety of reasons. So they are going to have to look at a level below the top tier.

I think Musselman would take the job. I think his success at Nevada would give credibility to the hire. When OSU opened Musselman had only been a college assistant for a couple of years and was known basically as a good minor league basketball coach.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We are more removed from John Wooden today than John Wooden was from Knute Rockne and Frank Leahy.

UCLA is not that blue blood anymore. They had a nice run 10-12 years ago. They have been a top 40 program for 30 years.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The thing about this job that seems like a small detail but isn’t: The team doesn’t charter. I know the PAC-12 road trips are two-fers — at Oregon on Thursday and at Oregon State on Saturday— but isn’t that still a disadvantage? If you’re depending on airlines to get you home on Sunday while your opponents in the league are already back on campus, you’re at a competitive disadvantage. With all the cash in the game these days, why is UCLA stuck in the 1980s?

6. LanceyHoward

I understand your point but but since Steve Lavin took over in the 1996-1997 season the Bruins have been to 11 appearances in the Sweet 16. I am not sure how many schools have had more appearances but I suspect it is not many. And Lavin and Alford are no ones idea of elite coaches. A good coach could get in there and do a lot.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

UCLA is 7th in Sweet 16 appearances from 1997 onward. Not too bad.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The problem for UCLA is the people there think they should win like UNC, Kentucky and Kansas, but they aren't providing the same bells and whistles. No charter flights, Pauley is shared with other sports, they finally got a practice facility, I don't think they have the luxury residences like other blue bloods.

Why would a top tier coach want to get into that?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

It ain’t 1968 anymore. They’ve done pretty well over the past 20 years, but everyone — from boosters to local media — seem to think UCLA should win the title every year.
    Now I see where Vitale is acting as Pitino’s agent by advocating for the Bruins to hire a guy whose program paid a prospect seven weeks after being placed on probation.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Doesn’t the PAC-12, for the most part, still play in the crappy 8500-seat arenas they used in the 60s?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's wild. And definitely not a small detail these days. Flying commercial might cost you a game or two a year in fatigue, which is enough to miss a Big Dance and get your coach whacked.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted