1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Passan joining ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John B. Foster, Dec 31, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Goes without saying, but Jeff's a great get for ESPN.

John B. Foster likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. He's excellent. Dogged reporter.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He's that rare beast who can report the shit out of a breaking story, but he also writes well enough to carry a deeper dive. I feel like more often you get one or the other. He's both.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I expected this move like a decade ago. Great talent.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jason Segel plays him in the movie.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jeff is a great get for ESPN.

The business angle of this is very interesting. The narrative the last 3-4 years was that cord cutters were causing The Mouse to bleed money and they were being forced to shed talent. Did something change?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There used to be destination papers, and personal-favorite companies where journalists aimed to go. Are there that many places for well-known writers to join, where they would want to go, anymore? I feel like, for almost anyone left in the business, ESPN is practically the only "destination" now, any and all the online stuff going on notwithstanding.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Interestingly, Passan tweeted he was happy his stuff wouldn't be behind a paywall.

10. I wonder if he'll still get to write columns with more analysis, or will he stick to straight-ahead breaking news like Woj has since he jumped from ESPN to Yahoo? That seems to be ESPN's MO lately.

Either way, good for Jeff. One of if not the best baseball writers doing it.

Tweener likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

ESPN's not unlike any other business that will claim losses and cut staff in one department yet spend money and hire in another. After this past Nascar season ESPN cut Bob Pockrass, who in my opinion is one of the very best reporters on anything anywhere. But it's Nascar, which is dropping like a stone and has no ties to ESPN. So that was an easy spot to cut a salary.

12. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I'm amazed that Yahoo Sports is even still a thing. Does it get traffic from its fantasy websites, which are sort of grandfathered in for a lot of guys in their 30s and up? (I know a guy who's been in the same Yahoo fantasy baseball league with his college buddies since 1999 or 2000)

Draft saved Draft deleted