1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old were you when you got married?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Married at 23. It was good for me because it helped me get my act together. In hindsight, though, I do wish I had figured things out a little more before marrying. Could’ve avoided some of the bumps on that first decade roller coaster.

Fortunately, the kids didn’t come came until the second decade, when we were much more prepared. Now, I’m in my later 30s with two kids. I don’t have the energy of a younger dad but I’m much wiser and I think my kids will benefit from that.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

PO ... you know the rest.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My thinking exactly.

Not that you want to know that you’re thinking like VB, but... yep, scary thought.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

HS sweethearts - if only they would last. There’s something to be said about a pure (perhaps naive) unjaded love.

And how the hell are arranged marriages supposed to last these days? I get how tradition has kept systems like that in place, but holy hell, you’d think countries that do that would have a high divorce rate and are due for a huge revolution. What are the countries / religions that do that?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know a guy from India who is in an arranged marriage that has lasted more than 50 years. They were promised by their families at 14 and didn’t meet until their wedding day at 22.

They lived in India at the time but their children were born in the U.S. and chose their own spouses.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

23. Good for two years. Shitshow for the last 18 before the split.

A manslaughter conviction is only 7 years. I went through hell for 18.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I have no Earthly idea what that’s about.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but killing her might have put a dent on the 'ol TV career, so . . . ;)

exmediahack likes this.
  9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I was 28 and she was 24 when we got married by the letter of the law. We wanted to live in the same country.

We had a real wedding when I was 31 and she was 28. No kids yet; fingers crossed that will change in a bit.

10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Best of luck.

qtlaw and jlee like this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Practice makes ... babies.

12. doctorx

doctorx Member

Married at 40, father at 44 (almost 45).

My dad was almost 27 when he got married, 28 when I was born. When I was a kid, I wondered what took him so long. My son wonders what took us so long. Had my parents done everything sooner, I could have gone to Vietnam, so I've gotten over that.

Draft saved Draft deleted