1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Christmas Party/ Bonus Thread: 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 18, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing is - it isn't likely a company that gets stiffed is going to end up on a resume as a reference in any event. Unless companies start their own "Glassdoor" for employees.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

To think that people are "ghosting" on purpose is ridiculous. They'd rather just quit or not show up than have to have a difficult conversation. BTW, how the hell did the Christmas Party Bonus thread turn into a thread about ghosting employers?

Twirling Time likes this.
  3. DanOregon

Employers screwing over employees led to my story about employers upset that employees or recruits were screwing them over etc. etc.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One newspaper job, publisher gave us gift certificates at the town's high-end market. Word got around quickly you could use it to buy, say, one candy bar and pocket the change.

PaperClip529 and Doc Holliday like this.
  5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Found out today that our shop will order pulled pork, pulled chicken and ribs from a barbecue restaurant for those who work New Year's Eve. And because holiday deadlines require the desk to come in at noon, the night crew will be able to enjoy the meal for once.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think I’ve told this one here before. I happened to be in a local pharmacy right after a bunch on employees got their holiday bonus of a gift certificate to that store. I was in line behind a bunch of people buying packs of gum and pocketing the change.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the stop mentioned above, they used to put on one feed for dayside and one for nightside. Only time all year we'd ever see some of the people who worked in the mail room - thank goodness!

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

This thread makes me so glad to not be in newspapers anymore. Not saying that to be smug or snooty at all, but I'm fortunate to be at a company that treats its employees well, even with our ownership change.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's very sad that newspapers traditionally have treated their employees very badly. Now more than ever. The problem is reporters and copy editors and designers all are college graduates but now being paid very little and being taken advantage of because of the fact writing and editing is addictive, in the blood, sweat and tears of employees so to speak. Congratulations murphyc in getting out. It's nice to be valued.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

A classic thing at my shop (and I'm sure this happens to all night-time workers in this business) is that the people who work during the day seem to have no fucking clue that people work at night. It's like they think they leave at 5 p.m. and the paper magically appears the next day.

Anyway, upper management sometimes does these potluck-type things for us, or they'll be a bunch of leftover food from some business lunch. Seeing as it's the only perk we ever get and sometimes they get pretty damn good food, it's not too bad. Except by the time the night people roll in, start working and get hungry, nobody has bothered to put any food any or refrigerate anything. By the time we get in, it's a guessing game as to what will give you diahrrea if you eat it. They just pick over the shit and walk away. Ridiculous.

One of our night-time editors got so angry over pizza that was delivered for lunch and was gone by the time we got here that he personally ordered like 6 pizzas for us on his dime. A nice gesture, plus I called it revenge pizza, which drew some laughs.

11. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I walked into a work at 5:30 p.m. on NYE and was surprised to see several warm pizzas. One of the day-time people openly questioned why they would order pizza late in the day when everyone was on their way out.

12. DanOregon

how many times have we seen people cover late council meetings and act like they were making a huge sacrifice working at night? Those meetings ARE boring as hell, but it isn't like they started their day at 9 a.m.

Draft saved Draft deleted