1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Christmas Party/ Bonus Thread: 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I read this and couldn't help but think that I'd want to take that cassette tape and tell the person who put that thing in my mailbox to cram it up their fucking cramhole. The nerve of whoever did that amazes me. What a fucking shitty employer. No wonder the DMN put the Herald out of business.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

We got $1000 per employee this year. Hell yes ;)

Doc Holliday and ChrisLong like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fuck you and the Laz-E-Boy you rode in on!

Seriously, though, good for you.

4. exmediahack

Plus likely a $3,500 bonus in a few weeks.

(Ducking)

2018 was a lush political year.

Sports Barf likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We got the traditional "thanks for all you do" and "thanks to those who are working the holidays as management will not be here." Oh, there might be some treats on Tuesday morning because management felt it was just fine to run full news programming on Tuesday morning.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What field? Newspaper?

7. exmediahack

TV.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Laz-E-Boy salesman.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Well might as well fill you in what my shop did.

Our annual Christmas party and dinner was replaced by a potluck dinner that the newspaper paid for the main entree. It was barbecue. The annual gift that everyone receives was reduced to a drawing. I think five people won gift cards to a local grocery store or something. I know I didn't win. So this year's Christmas bonus for me was a potluck dinner which I could not take part in since there was a game that night that I had to cover. This, in a year that unprecedented tax cuts across all businesses benefited everyone, so much so that I know my company is well in the black.

And the suits wonder why morale is at an all-time low. Bastards.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw this story and thought "hmmmmmm...."

How many people have shown up to work, day after day and year after year to find their job is gone - but THIS is a problem?

More Employers Ghosted By Job Applicants

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know about the extent of this problem, but I could absolutely see it happening, and not as any kind of retribution, either. It's just, well, easier, to take the easy way out, and these days, especially, that's what people will do if they can. They just don't know how to do the right thing, and they don't care as much if they do it, either, especially with someone they may never see or hear from again.

It's like sincerely apologizing, face-to-face, when you know you should. It's not easy, and nobody wants to do anything that's not easy or pleasant to do. It's about responsibility. People are not taught it as much as they used to be, and they don't live it as much, either. And this is one result.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Understood that this might happen with young applicants who don't know how to say "I got a better offer" and feel like they're sticking it to the man by just disappearing, but just as we have long discussions about unethical, terrible employers (and have probably dissuaded a few people here from applying), understand the economy is very unusual right now and is not going to be like this forever (in fact, signs are showing that it's probably going to hit its peak soon and likely tumble into a pretty significant recession). When that happens, understand that those with a history of "ghosting" might not be as attractive of a job candidate in a down economy, just like employers with a history of treating their employees like crap find it hard to find qualified candidates in a "good" economy.

Draft saved Draft deleted