1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skiing - most expensive sport?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 24, 2018.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've been a lifelong skier but was remiss about getting my boys into the sport because (1) wife doesn't ski; (2) could golf in Dec. in CA and (3) there were youth sports (hoops) and most importantly (4) didn't like thought of hauling everything up to the mountain in the car/minivan.

Well finally going this week after Christmas with my two boys and damn after outfitting both of them and myself, getting hotel, then lift tickets, rentals and lessons, could have taken the four of us to Hawaii or Mexico.

Luckily, there will be fresh snow on the ground and hopefully a memorable experience for them that will ignite a love of schussing down the mountain.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From the sound of it, if you're lucky there will be fresh snow, a memorable experience, and no desire to return, thus allowing you to preserve your retirement fund.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

We have friends who are very good skiers, with two daughters, 12 and 10, who are in the Olympic track and race every winter weekend. They ended up buying a chalet at their home resort because they calculated that it would be cheaper than staying in hotels. Hockey is crazy expensive up here, but they might spend six figures on skiing each year. It wouldn't shock me. Either way, I'm glad footy is the family sport.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lacrosse is a very expensive sport, especially if you include camps, private schooling, travel teams, etc. I imagine hockey is similar. Both aren’t exactly family sports, but if you can get the wife involved in a pick up game, you can beat up on the family without being sent to prison.

Bobsledding looks outrageous.

I only rent and take advantage of learn-to-ski packages that include lessons and rentals.

Fuck owning any equipment, unless you are white and live in Canada.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Between gear, league fees, and extra ice time for practice or pickup, I pay about $100/week to play rec ice hockey, year-round

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I graduated from Appalachian State on the five-year plan, but never skied. I used to tell folks that I had no desire to, but truth be told, the expense is why I never went.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Golf is expensive. Good clubs, upgrading clubs, country clubs. Even public courses can be pricey or hard to get on.

Wenders likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the funny things about living in the South, when you're not from here, is when people talk about going "skiing" in July.
    Always takes me a minute to realize they're talking about water skiing.

maumann and Hermes like this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You can go motorboating year round too.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can of tennis balls: $1.98
    Good racket on eBay: $40

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Hockey pucks, lacrosse sticks and baseball gloves don't have to cost too much either. But it never stops there.

Draft saved Draft deleted