1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I went into it not having any expectations and was blown away. It was great. The one quibble I had was I saw it in 2-D (I don't do 3-D due to the combination of motion sickness and migraines that they give me) and I could tell some scenes were the animation wasn't as crisp because it was intended to be in 3-D. But the storyline, the voices, the writing was all very, very good. Laughed a lot.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had no intention to see this, at least in the theaters, but I keep hearing great things about it. In the past, I always had Little OOP to go to things like that with me, but at 15, she thinks she's too cool for anything animated. :rolleyes:

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Catching up on backlogged shows in the absence of a compelling early NFL game in my market. Season finale for "Murphy Brown" (which hasn't been as bad as I thought, just kinda picked up where v1.0 left off) already?

5. DanOregon

Supposedly locked in for 13 only (due to other cast commitments?) Frankly - I wouldn't have a problem with these "reboots" if they were all short termers. A chance for the cast to get together, maybe goose a networks ratings during a sweeps month - six eps and out. Beyond that its like hanging out in high school once you've graduated. Time to move on and let go.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mrs Maisel is the best TV show since Mad Men.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Few episodes into season three of The Good Place and I just don't know. Something seems missing.

8. DanOregon

Bodyguard on Netflix is well worth your time. The Brits just do this stuff better than the US does. Not sure if the scripts are just tighter or their willingness to tell the story in as much (or little) time it takes (six eps here - each about an hour long) is what makes their procedurals/thrillers more interesting (if you haven't seen MI5, do yourself a favor and do so) but they are excellent. Plus, I've always had a thing for Keeley Hawes.

lakefront and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Watching Lucifer. A Fox show on Netflix. I like it but after 3 shows it better have a 2nd act. Cool concept.

HBO’s Sally4Ever. Brit show. Cringe worthy. Weird.

10. DanOregon

It's probably just me, or they've run out of "the greats" the show honored in the past but the Kennedy Center Honors were strange this year and it had nothing to do with Trump's absence. The tributeers seem so random. One thing I didn't miss was the obligatory cutaway shot of Les Moonves during every show.

11. DanOregon

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was good, but suffered from stories that didn't measure up given the cinematography, actors and other production values. I like the idea of telling "different" stories of the West that may not be enough for an entire Western and hope the Coens utilize the flexibility Netflix can provide in terms of breaking a story (whether a movie, mini-series or anthology).
    For that matter, thought Vice might have made a better 10-part Netflix show focusing on various points in Cheney's life.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Finished off Succession over the holidays. Kind of hated the first episode, but it grew on me. Basically based on Rupert Murdoch and his family media empire, but other influences as well. I'll watch the second season.

Also relented and got CBS All Access so we can watch The Good Fight. Loved the first two episodes.

Any thoughts on the newest Star Trek? I'll probably give that a whirl at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted