1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Bowl Season 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Dec 14, 2018.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

To call Bill Clark National Coach of the Year is a disgrace. He's Coach of the Decade.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to be THAT GUY, but in death UAB was granted some benefits other programs of similar stature were not.

For one thing, they were given a lot of latitude in signing players who would not otherwise be eligible to play Division I college football. The NCAA did not start counting UAB's APR scores until the fall of 2017, a year after most of their players had first arrived on campus. Essentially, they were allowed to attend UAB and get their academics in order while being on scholarship.

In addition, everyone on the roster had his eligibility clock frozen, thus gaining an extra year. For example, quarterback Tyler Johnston is listed as a redshirt freshman but is actually in his third year of college.

The test will be how good they are in 2019 and beyond. This year's team has 35 seniors, 30 of them fifth- or sixth-year guys.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was stunned he was 8th in the voting.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Clark won the Eddie Robinson COY.

During the rebuild, both the NCAA and C-USA cut UAB a break. Stopping the eligibility clock allowed the coaches to go after guys who needed time to get their academics in order and also to go after guys who had a lot of potential but got hurt late in the recruiting process and saw their offers rescinded. They were allowed to go back and recruit against the lost scholarship slots from the first year of the shutdown as well. That said, Clark was very picky about the guys he took. Players who were available because they were risky due to their conduct didn't get a sniff. UAB still wound up with two guys who were not good citizens. One of the Last Chance U. guys got arrested on a domestic violence beef and was run immediately.

They'll lose 35 guys, six of the defensive front seven, and four of five on the OL. That's going to be a helluva hit. That said, there is some decent depth and in areas of true need Clark can go for JUCO's to plug in. Facilities are much better than before, and the team is coming off of a championship and bowl win, but the biggest draw is that there are starting positions up for grabs. Whoever performs in camp will get starter's minutes. PT is the coin of the realm. We'll see how signing day goes. Clark has gotten commitments from two players who had P5/SEC offers already.

Eleven wins, a conference championship, and a bowl win. I really don't know what to do with myself. Not that big a deal for most of y'all, I know, but I have a lot of time in as a UAB fan. I have seen some absolutely gawdawful football over the years. I've had my program knifed and seen it rise from the dead.

Feels good.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So is the current talk of expanding the playoff just a way to gin up interest in the upcoming games, or is it something that will actually happen? On the one hand I think fans knowing their conference will be represented may retain more interest in the season as it goes along - on the other - those inter-sectional tilts that pretty much create the narrative of conference strength really won't have much impact anymore.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think that the eight team playoff will happen. There's just too much money to be made, and a couple of P5 conferences getting left out every year will ice the cake.

Chef2 likes this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had that too. The MAC is continuing a multiyear trend of awfulness in bowls.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The intersectional games would still have a big influence on the two or three wild card spots up for grabs every year. If Michigan goes 10-2 with wins over Notre Dame and a mid-level Pac-12 team, it'd have a better case than a 10-2 Florida team that only played Florida State and a bunch of Sun Belt scrubs.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Heard a theory on this.

MAC schools generally don’t have nice indoor bubbles for a full practice. The thinking is, after Thanksgiving, their practices aren’t as high quality as a school in the southeast. Add in a speed differential on the roster and it’s real tough for a MAC to truly compete.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Well shit. I got 30 bones on Ohio tonight.

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Therefore, will the extra "round" that would come with an eight-team playoff eliminate conference title games? (We can only hope.)

Draft saved Draft deleted