1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Annual Christmas Party/ Bonus Thread: 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 18, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I was a journalist for 20 years, for both newspapers and online. The only Christmas "bonus" I ever received was a lunch buffet. Of course I usually worked at night, so most of the good vittles were long gone by then.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Need to put the next issue of the magazine to bed today, but once that's done, nothing will get done the next two days. We hold a Christmas luncheon with copious amounts of alcohol at a local restaurant tomorrow and then come back to the office for a putting contest and more booze. Half the staff is off Friday as it is, so I doubt anything gets accomplished. As for bonuses, we usually get ours in February once the books are closed on 2018 and the board can approve. They're tied to an incentive program. It's been a significant bonus my first three years here. Might be a little lower this year, but should still be good.

Tweener and JackReacher like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Worked at a place that actually had a prize drawing for gift certificates - so some got bonuses, some didn't. Worked another place for a few weeks and everyone got a liter of Knob Creek. THAT was a great bonus.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just..... I can't even imagine.

I can't imagine the gall of giving a 'bonus' that wouldn't even buy a McDonald's dinner for three.

Tweener and Doc Holliday like this.
  5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Newspaper, no party at our office, payday is tomorrow so who knows, maybe there will be something extra but not holding out hope. Management does not want to pay holiday pay to work Christmas so the 26th paper has to be done the 24th so am putting two papers together Christmas Eve.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There was a potluck but it was long gone and cleaned up before I went to the office in the evening. (Not that I care -- I can't stand really stand those things. People are pigs, and I don't want to eat picked-over food made in their dirty kitchens).

Never gotten a bonus in a decade in this business. Not going to change this year.

Tweener and TigerVols like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish a manager would just come out and say "Our bonus this year is that we are still open and we all still have jobs." You know that's what they want to say.

OscarMadison, Fredrick and Bronco77 like this.
  8. CD Boogie

Coincidentally, I watched "Christmas Vacation" with my daughter last night. Anyone remember what Clark received as a Christmas bonus?

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

The gift that keeps on giving the whole year.

(Technically by the movie's end, he received what he got last year, plus 10 percent, IIRC).

10. CD Boogie

He got a membership in the jelly of the month club.

In the end, he got last year's plus 20 percent.

SFIND likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty funny and accurate. I'd rather everyone just grab something from the supermarket or a bucket of chicken instead of being subjected to multiple mystery casseroles. If someone can bake good cookies, that's acceptable.

SFIND likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I got a $125 bonus at the newspaper. A $2300 bonus at the factory.

Turns out cars are more profitable than fish wrappers.

Draft saved Draft deleted