1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Portland's supporters section was pretty impressive too, especially considering how few tickets MLS allotted to the Timbers. I've tried to explain to my 15-year-old son how special a year this has been in terms of what he's been able to see - the NCAA football championship game with Georgia coming close, the Braves having an unexpectedly good and exciting young team, the MLS All-Star game, and the MLS Cup with Atlanta winning. There were some long dry spells in the 1970s and 80s that make me appreciate this more than he does, but I think he gets it.

If you include the postseason, Atlanta drew more than Columbus, Chicago, Colorado, and Dallas combined. Even without the postseason, they drew more for 17 regular-season home games than the Miami Marlins did for 81. It'll be interesting to see how attendance holds up once Martino and Almiron leave and (I assume) the team isn't as good.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It was inevitable after that piss-poor showing at Anfield. Jose Mourinho sacked.

4. Webster

About. Fucking. Time.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Seemed to be an oil and water fit, Mourinho and ManU.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as the interim at ManU?

Can I get odds on Giggs being the permanent one?

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It almost has to be Giggs, doesn't it?

8. Webster

Giggs has coached Wales for an hour and a half and no one at United thinks of him as any great leader of men. I think that that this hire is too important to take that risk

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't you talk bad about Giggsy around here or my fanboi looserdom will engage.

10. Webster

If the job is best left sided winger in United history, he's a lock. If it is for best brother, he's not.

He's won 1/3 of his 9 games with Wales. Not exactly pre-Chelsea Mou at Porto.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

ManU wants Pochettino, at least Ferguson recommended him before they signed Mourinho.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My Spurs supporter friends are not amused by that.

Draft saved Draft deleted