1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

You were saying?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With football season winding down, I'm trying to figure out how to bet on the NBA? Anybody got any tips, because other than betting on the Warriors this seems to boil down to figuring out which teams won't give a shit on any given night.
    Bet against the Bulls and Suns tonight, on a night when the Warriors are also playing, and the Suns actually decide to show up and give the Clippers a game. Maddening.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Don’t do it! I’m in Vegas so decided to play Ws (-10); up 11 w 90 secs left; Steph misses 3; KD fouls Rose on a 3; Ws win by 8 when Towns makes a meaningless 2 w 10 left. No foul, Ws win by 14. How does book know that close???

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw that finish and was also frustrated. That was my insurance policy for the night. Could have been marginally ahead if that hit, but wound up with an empty night.
    Only lost $30 total, but it still seemed like a night that I could have easily turned that into $100. Instead it turned into $40, and then $0.

My main strategy in all sports is to bet good teams against bad ones, and limit exposure by keeping bets relatively low. Bet one or two games and a parlay most of the time, for $30-$50 total.
    I did OK with that during football season, but I'm still trying to solve basketball.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Say what you will about the NBA, it does know how to put on a show. Latest example: The end of last night's Lakers v. Heat, LBJ vs. Wade show. Entertaining as hell.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curry: Comments on moon a joke, will visit NASA

Do people who run with tweets and comments on a pod cast even bother to verify them or the context or would that wreck the chance of a few thousand clicks? And they you double it the next day when you actually do what you should have done in the first place. Ridiculous. Personally, I'd fire anyone who ran with that without confirming the context.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks that Mark Jackson and Doris Burke are no bueno?

Start with the monotones, the lack of fun... And I don't get any insights on return.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Doris is very good.

Mark Jackson is hilariously bad. Every time he opens my mouth I understand why the Warriors became champs as soon as he got fired.

sgreenwell, TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I haven't switched allegiances for a sports team in like three decades now. Robert Sarver is testing the hell out of that. Threatening to move the team to Vegas or Seattle if he doesn't get his arena? Jesus, man. When I lived in Arizona, the Suns were THE ticket in the Valley. It's stunning to see how far that franchise has fallen.

I remember watching the last play of Game 6 of that Lakers series in 2010 and being pretty despondent afterward because I had a feeling that was the last time I'd see Phoenix in the postseason in awhile. I never thought it would get this bad, though.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With both Doris and Jackson, I feel like I am being lectured all the time.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sarver has been amazingly awful for that franchise. I never would have believed they could be this bad and just a forgotten part of the Phoenix sports landscape.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

There goes that man!

Draft saved Draft deleted