1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Can 99 be mentioned in the same breath as Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec and The Office?

Is it that level?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it's better than 30 Rock, which always seemed to get more buzz because of its cast and SNL connections.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

IMDB says that David Caruso hasn't been in anything either since the end of CSI Miami back in 2012. He's 62.

Seriously, good for them. You always hear about how awesome residuals and syndication money is for the stars of long-running series. Glad to see they're most likely spending their retirement years the way they want to instead of appearing in schlock like Pacino or Cage.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Nicolas Cage? He's only 54.

5. britwrit

He famously got into mountains and mountains of debt, though. According to IMDB, he did six films this year and five the last. You can sure argue that one or two aren't bad but they're generally mediocre thrillers.

Here's the link. It's not pretty - Nicolas Cage - IMDb

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That wasn't what I was questioning. I don't really consider 54 to be "retirement years."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think mediocre is kind for some of the crap he has made over the years. But at least he finally got to play Superman, though it was just voice acting in Teen Titans Go! To the Movies. Maybe he can find new life with voice acting. He is also in Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse as what looks like a very cheesy version of Spider-Man Noir. (That will make no sense if you're not a comic book fan.)

8. britwrit

You're right. It is a little young. But I remember way back in the day when Cage was considered a talented and promising actor. At his age, he should be taking on meaty dramatic roles or failing that, stuff that's obviously not meant to pay the bills. Or the vig on them.

At least with De Niro, he's got a nice little real estate fiefdom in New York to show for his dubious choices.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We finished Party Down. What a criminally underrated show.

Moving on to Mrs. Maisel.

For my commute, was thinking of Babylon Berlin -- has anyone seen?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed it - opted for the subtitles over the dubbed English just because it sounded more authentic. The kind of show you really have to watch.

Webster likes this.
  11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I spent half the movie thinking SpiderMan Noir was voiced by Nick Offerman.

I'm slowly savoring the second season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I know binging is the big thing but if I'm going to get 10 episodes a year, I'm going to watch one a night every night and stretch it out a little.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My wife and daughter are saving that for the upcoming winter break.

I know it's off topic, but how was Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse?"

Draft saved Draft deleted