1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiplatform editor, Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by danielpaulling, Dec 10, 2018.

1. The Los Angeles Times is looking to hire a talented digital journalist to join the Sports department.

Duties of an latimes.com digital producer include web production, section-front editing and other work for latimes.com and related platforms. Successful candidates will have excellent news judgment, an aptitude for learning content management systems, impeccable copy editing skills and a knack for writing headlines that work on the web.

These positions are classified as a Multiplatform Editor and are included in the Los Angeles Times Guild.

Applicants should have at least five years of experience. Qualified candidates should send a resume to assistant managing editor Angel Rodriguez and deputy managing editor Sewell Chan at editjobs@latimes.com.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Multiplatform Editor, Sports

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. Take a normal headline, and stick "How" or "Why" at the front.
    2. Replace the name in the normal headline with "this person" or some other vague description.

"How this person turned around the Lakers' season"

Bingo.

From the company that once gave us the impeccable "Champagne with a twist of Lemon" headline upon the Dodgers clinching the 1981 World Series after Bob Lemon inexplicably pinch-hit for Tommy John in the fourth inning of a 1-1 game.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    nafselon, HanSenSE and Slacker like this.
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

It's amazing to see how the LAT, like other Tribune papers, were hemorrhaging jobs.

Now, with a new owner, the LAT is expanding like crazy. Where did they find the money for people? Were Trib executives that cheap and trigger happy?

4. ndsnow

ndsnow New Member

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's interesting that this settlement came after secret recordings.

In my journalism career, I was always open about when something was being recorded. It's what I was taught to do, it was the right thing to do, and it was more likely to hold up in court -- or be allowed to be used in legal proceedings at all -- if that was ever needed.

I guess this settlement was accomplished because it actually was done through a "mediator," rather than in court, where that recording seems unlikely to have ever been allowed to be used, specifically because it was done unbeknownst to the other party.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted