1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Great sports town that cares deeply about its Griz

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

It is a really good college sports town. I just think Big Sky Country would be extremely difficult for the site to find much success. I think the site could get interest from a dedicated page for entire conferences at that level, but probably not for individual teams.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

North Dakota State football’s twitter account has 66,000 followers. Would you like to know how many followers the account for No. 13 Washington State, led by media darling Mike Leach, has?

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

NDSU is a bit of a different animal. Montana has 32,000 followers. Montana State has 12,000 followers.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

538 has been handed off to ABC News. Not sure what The Athletic would do with the Undefeated.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The financial success of the Athletic will not be determined by the number of subscriptions they garner in Montana and North Dakota. I think the Athletic should over the four major professional leagues, the Power 5, auto racing, golf and tennis. That is all that 90+ percent of their target audience cares about. Trying to do much is a good way of going broke.

cake in the rain likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Doyel is interesting. He tells good stories and unearths good stuff. Sometimes, I dunno, I just get the sense that's it all a little punched up for my taste. He seems to want people fired a lot. He wrote a long column about his own tweet of a teen fan who might have been mocking another kid shooting free throws, might not have been, but definitely wouldn't have been ridiculed on Twitter had Doyel not tweeted out the video of it. Sometimes I read his stuff kind of wonder if he hasn't overcooked it, and that overcooking is part of what's wrong with journalism, that, when there are times when it'd be OK to leave well enough alone, we don't, for the sake of creating a conversation or a cause or whatever. I used to get the same feeling with LeBatard and still get it with Canzano. It just feels like a little much.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It seems to me the Athletic does a nice job of attaining donations from investors or generally rich people who want to back the site. Is this the case? Any numbers crunchers on here who can tell us if they are getting an amount of subscribers that can assure huge profits considering all the employees they have? Many making a huge buck? Thank you.
    I'm not convinced the Athletic is very popular.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

They aren't getting donations. Stop being disingenuous.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I must have gotten it wrong. I thought investors were donating. I guess they are investing or I'm way off base. My apologies. I'm not an expert so I should not comment on this topic if I'm getting it wrong.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Fredrick

Where have you been? Welcome back.

The actual number of subscribers would be of great interest, at least to me.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Venture capital money is not a donation. It comes from investors betting that the venture will be successful enough that they can make their money back, and more, through an initial public offering and/or a sale to another entity. (Example: Bleacher Report, launched with venture capital money and sold to TBS for $175 million.)

Draft saved Draft deleted